Last response: in Systems
January 20, 2012 10:19:34 PM

I am having a problem getting my new build to start. Here are the parts I used:

Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case External 3 X 5.25; Internal 6 X 3.5 2*Usb2.0
Liteon iHAS324 24X DVD-RW SATA Optical Disk Drive
Intel Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor
Antec Computer Power Supply HCG-520
ASRock H61M/U3S3 Intel H61 Micro ATX DDR3 1333 Motherboard
Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Blue SATA III 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD10EALX
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

When I press the power button, the case fans and cpu fan turn on, the LED lights come on, the HDD and DVD drive get power, but monitor continues to show no signal. I tried two different monitors with the same result. I originally thought maybe it was a bad motherboard, so I asked for a replacement. That didn't fix the problem. Then I thought it was a bad power supply, so I exchanged it for the same model. I have tried removing the memory sticks and trying with just one. I've tried removing the battery and starting without it. I've assembled the computer outside the case to see if the case was the problem. I've checked the cables and nothing seems loose. I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious but I can't figure out what it is. This is the first time I have ever tried to build a computer. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

More about : build start

January 20, 2012 10:28:44 PM

What is the indicator light on the monitor?
Score
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2012 10:33:05 PM

are you using onboard video or a dedicated GPU?

also does your monitor have multiple video input? if so, did you set to the correct video input channel on the monitor.
Score
Related resources
January 20, 2012 10:39:53 PM

Ok so we have replaced the board, and we have swapped memory and the board does not fire. Lets break it down to pistons and spark plugs. Remove the board from the case plug in the psu. Does the board have on board video? if it does leave the video card off. Hook up a monitor, just to be sure you are running the default settings remove the bios battery for 10 minutes. Put the bios battery back in take a philips screw driver and connect the two pins that would be normally where the power switch would plug in. Dont fear your not going short anything out there just dont touch anything else on the board with the screw driver. If it still doesn't run but is on wait 30 seconds while it is still on and push the num lock key does the light go on and off? Do this like 10 times does it do it every time or does it freeze? If it freeze you have bad hardware if you have check all of ram one at a time its not the ram, if you have replaced the mobo and the psu, that would leave the cpu. One last test, if you nothing has happend up to this point and you have the mini speaker plugged in to the board the most manufacturer's send remove all RAM and start the board again. If you don't get beep code you have a bad mobo, a bad cpu, or both. Let me know what you find.
Score
January 22, 2012 10:18:58 PM

Captjack, the board has onboard video, but I didn't see a video card that I could remove. It also didn't come with a mini speaker. I have ordered one and should get it in a few days. I did what you recommended, but haven't had any luck. I am thinking I may need to get a new cpu, but will wait until I get the mini speaker that I ordered. Maybe the beep code will help (if it beeps at all). Thank you for your help.
Score

Best solution

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2012 5:56:20 AM

:hello:  michelle. Welcome to the forums.

Look through this thread. Maybe you will see something you overlooked.

Then work systematically through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

If neither of those two threads help, come back and we will try some more advanced things.
January 26, 2012 1:25:20 AM

Best answer selected by michelle92.
Score
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2012 10:43:03 AM

Well, thank you, but if we didn't solve your problem, you should not have handed out a Best Answer. There are no statute of limitations on a BA. :) 

Let us know what happens after you get your case speaker.
Score
January 26, 2012 11:42:39 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!