Registry Files.& System Restore.

I have "XP Home edition" installed O.E.M. so I have no
access to the original Installation Disk. Therefore I
cannot Install the "Registry Back up Device" on that CD.
I need to change a "Registry File Setting" to speed
up my Start Up, which has slowed down a lot after
installing SP.2
Can I Safely use "System Restore" to provide a
Backup for "Registry Files"??

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Dave. South Wales UK." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:b09001c4999a$b953d9b0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>I have "XP Home edition" installed O.E.M. so I have no
> access to the original Installation Disk. Therefore I
> cannot Install the "Registry Back up Device" on that CD.
> I need to change a "Registry File Setting" to speed
> up my Start Up, which has slowed down a lot after
> installing SP.2
> Can I Safely use "System Restore" to provide a
> Backup for "Registry Files"??

<snip>
I need to change a "Registry File Setting"
</snip>
If it is only one (or a few) registry settings, you could also very quickly
select the key and File, export into a .reg file to 'backup' the old
setting. then change what you need to and test it.
Don't like it? Not the expected result?
double-click the .reg file to 'restore' the old setting.

just one way of doing it.
obviously if you mess up good and your system doesn't come back to life
anymore, this won't work.
:))

george