System powering off under high load (gaming)

like_kaakow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Lian Li case
Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD (OS)
7200rpm 320gb wd hdd
Corsair TX650V2 650w PSU
ASUS M4A87TD AM3 MOBO
EVA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
G Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600
AMD X6 1090T w/ aftermarket heatsink fan

Just recently built this system, everything brand new from newegg---
The entire thing powers off without notice when gaming (under heavy load), boots back up just fine.

Is the 650w PSU not enough for this system? I know the gpu requires a 500w as stated on the box, and had heard people using a 650w without issues.

The PSU is burning hot to the touch after the shut downs, and I havent ever noticed the PSU fan coming on (I know the fan is only supposed to come on under load). Is there any way to test the PSU to force the fan to engage? Defective psu out of box?

Something else?

Thanks for your time

Ben

Solution
Your PSU fan isn't engaging? That would be a very bad sign.

As far as i know the 650 TXV2 does not have a fanless mode, the fan will spin at all times, at low loads it spins much slower but it is always spinning. If your fan is not spinning its time to give Corsair a call and get an RMA on it.
Your PSU fan isn't engaging? That would be a very bad sign.

As far as i know the 650 TXV2 does not have a fanless mode, the fan will spin at all times, at low loads it spins much slower but it is always spinning. If your fan is not spinning its time to give Corsair a call and get an RMA on it.

Solution

like_kaakow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Yeah, I've never seen the fan move at all.

The only game I've installed is sw:tor at maxed graphics (which runs beautifully for a while before the power off).

Thanks for your advice