M5A78L & FX-4100 Problems

Shaunova

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hello,

Basically today I went to a local computer store with my friend to purchase everything required for a new build. (not my first I have experience and know what im doing)

Anyway the motherboard I had in mine was the Asus M5A78L and the processor was a AMD Bulldozer FX 4100 Am3+

So at the store I asked "Will this processor definitely work and does the bios need flashing because I dont want to flash it"

The guy in the store replys "Yes it doesnt need flashing it has AM3+ on the box"

So I take his word and get home build the system following the manual exactly installed the cpu firmly and attached the heatsink...

So after connecting everything up I hit the power switch all the leds and everything starts to boot up however the screen remains blank there was no POST or BIOS load.

So I phone up the store and ask if it was the power supply since they recommended me to drop from a 700W PSU to a 600W PSU and the guy on the phone basically gave me some attitude saying "oh well if your building it your self you have to diagnose it, its on your head"

So now I recheck everything and tryed a much lower card that would run on a 250w psu all the wiring is fine and theoritically it should of booted fine but it did not.

So I hit Google and landed on Tomshardware where basically a guy asked why he wasnt getting any display and the results where basically the BIOS needed updating.

So I phone the store and they told me to rebox the motherboard and processor in the original packaging and bring it in and they will exchange it.

However here comes my main worry, As I am removing the heatsink the CPU got ripped out of the socket and a few pins got bent.

Will this still be viable for a exchange and especially since it was sold to me under false pretences.

I really appreciate any advice.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Thats strictly going to be at the stores discretion. While they gave you bad information since they had know way of knowing if the motherboard had the latest bios needed, however they were willing to exchange everything which shows them trying to correct the problem. Not bringing the hardware back in the same condition you got it though isnt there fault.

popatim

Titan
That chip needs the motherboad to be at bios version 507 or higher. It looksl ike it comes with 202 so yes it needed a bios update right out of the box. You can check this on Asus's website in the cpu support list for the motherboard you're interested in.

Shaunova

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Thank you guys for the input,

AdioKIP to be honest the way I got misinformed and treated by that specific employee was a complete disgrace, I asked him valid questions and he practically bit my head off in reply.

Popatim that was pretty much my conclusion however I'm struggling to find direct proof that the bios is 202 so far all I've got is the board revision is 1.00 could you help with that I cant find direct evidence.

You're responsible for the damage to the CPU. That problem wasn't in any way the fault of the store personnel.