New gaming rig help

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
New gaming rig that would last years and potential future upgrade
budget around 600 and plz don't link me newegg for tax kills the deal. Amazon is where i usually shop at.

Heres what I was thinking
cpu = AMD x4 BE - not sure which one to get. I wanted the 955 but that thing is super expensive.
mobo = 970-ud3 not sure if it can support future stuff like the new cpus
gpu = 6870 or 6970

ram = 8gb vengeance
hd = 500gb seagate

those r the important parts that I was thinking. I don't know much about intel but if theres a cheaper or better part plz do tell.

my main concerns r the CPU and mobo. I know there r new chips coming out and not sure which mobos (around $100) can support the future chips.

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
6 core with 2 core turned off..lol i dont even know what that means if its better i might pull the trigger
i mean what difference is a 6-2 vs a straight up 4 core? also its only 3.0ghz vs 955's 3.2 ghz. sry i know im a complete noob

Here's what I think:
* Phenom II x4 960T
* Mobo looks good
* RAM looks good too, just make sure it runs on 1.5v (stock voltage)
* HD should be fine, I prefer Western Digital, but to each his own.
* AMD 6870 GPU is a good one to have for the $.
* I like the Cooler Master 912 case for price and flexibility, but that is just me.
* Make sure your using at least Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
* Don't forget the DVD Burner, I've had good experience with LiteOn drives, but there are many other good ones too.
* Make sure you get at least a 450w quality PSU from Antec/Corsair/Seasonic/PCP&C/OCZ. Don't skimp out on the PSU, make sure it is at least 80+ certified (means it's at least 80% efficient or better under different load conditions).

You will be hard pressed to fit all of the above items into the $600 price range (including the OS), but if your only needing to buy the Mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, & HD than you can easily fit that into your $600 budget.

What he means is that you could possibly unlock the other 2 cores and have a 6 core CPU! Not all will do this, but there is a good chance that you could do it. Also the 960T is more power efficient than the 955 BE (95W for the 960T and 125w for the 955 BE).

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
hmm ok sounds good to me
i also did some research on my own and it sounds like it can only unlock the extra cores on some mobos
will mine be able to? and thanks for reminding me of all the parts i need. haha i didnt name the other stuffs cuz i can't remember what i needed
this is my 2nd time building a new comp from scratch.

Stay with the TX versions of Corsair. The new CX versions have been a bit iffy, from what I've read and heard about. Normally all of the Corsair PSU's are good, but just stick with the TX versions, if you buy a Corsair PSU.
$90 shipped!
Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-650TXV2

Another option ~$68.15
Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 Modular Power Supply

Seasonic/PCP&C are also options too.

I don't Recommend Green anything. Sea gate did a test and is doing away with green hard drives as they aren't worth the performance lost for energy saved. So when you wanted the new FX chip ( Once its fully patched and utilized) you have that option u wouldnt with AM3. So good choice on the mobo ( I would have went with ASUS, but your money man. its still a decent board. Also if you can afford the PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
Thats a better quality plus if you ever wanted to crossfire that 6850 it is possible with this one.

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
nah i dont think i'll ever crossfire
and is my mobo future proof? will it support the future chips? fx chip or whatever? can u link me a better mobo tht is future proof and a better HD then? cuz all these new chips coming out i'm very iffy about which mobo to get. the 970a-ud3 is fairly new too but i'm not sure if it can support the new stuffs i mean the future new stuffs

thts y i asked if my hard drive is green cuz i dont want green. it doesnt say green so i dont know
i'd lik something equivalent to blue but so expensive...

Green = efficient?? I'm assuming that is what you were asking?? All recent drives are pretty efficient compared to older designs in the past, if that is what you wanted to know. I was simply posting the HD speeds from WD, which the Black versions are faster than the Blue ones which are faster than the Green versions. Basically the Green versions are a bit slower, but err on the side of less power than the Black/Blue ones.

I like your mobo that you selected for the $. It will support the current generation of chips and possibly the next ones, but nothing is future-proof in the computer industry. You buy what you need now and hope that you can upgrade to newer technology in the future. AMD has been pretty good about upgrade ability with their CPU's/Mobo's, but there isn't any guarantee.

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
and one of the main reason y im getting this hard drive is because i thought its not green which means its faster...otherwise i rather get the western digital 1tb green for 10 bucks more. ill stick with the seagate if its faster than the 1tb green tho.

The speed isn't too much to be concerned about with the HD. There is some difference, but usually people need/want bigger HD's for space, but if your fine with 500 gb's (which is quite a bit) than I'd just stick with your first option. I personally don't like Seagate as of recent, but that is just me.

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
yes ur right..im fine for now i can always add more hd when the price drops or throw in a ssd for speed. but i wouldnt kno how tht works. lol if u guys know plz explain. i heard someone saying use ssd to run things and hd to hold things how does tht work?

Basically you use the SSD (basically Flash RAM) for the OS and applications (SSD's are really expensive, so getting about a 64-128gb one would be best). The HD would be used for storage and anything else that you might want. The SSD is basically just another HD (no moving parts).