Sign in with
Your question

I think this is it . . . Thoughts?

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2012 3:38:14 AM

I am thinking I am ready to buy the parts and begin putting this together.

I do need a bit'o'advice on the network card and heatsink / fan.

Other than that is there anything I should be aware of?

Cheers!

Case: Fractal Design DEFINE R3 USB3.0 TITANIUM GREY
Power: Silencer Mk II 950W
Mother Board: Asus Digi+ Rampage IV X
CPU: Intel i7-3930K
Heatsink: ZALMAN CNPS7500 (should I improve this?)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB
Memory: G.SKILL 16GB (4 x 4GB) Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 2133
Hard Drive 1: Corsair Force GT 180 GB
Hard Drive 2: WesternD CaviarBlack WD1001FALS 1TB 7200RPM
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X CD/DVD Burner
Sound: Creative 70SB088000004 7.1 PCIe
Network: (suggestions?)
Monitor: ViewSonic Graphic Series VG2732m-LED Black 27"

More about : thoughts

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2012 5:52:35 AM

Ethernet ports are built into the motherboards.
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2012 8:02:26 AM

ANlMAL said:

Cheers!

That cooler is not a good match for your CPU. Which to get would depend on if you are going to overclock and by how much, and then there is the noise.
ANlMAL said:

I would look to some lowerprofile heatsink memory modules, especially if you are going to get a tower cooler, as some have clearance issues.
ANlMAL said:

Unless you have a specific need for a discrete sound card, I would see if the onboard was good enough before getting one.
ANlMAL said:

Use onboard network.
ANlMAL said:

Looks like a great setup, but to really comment, and help others do the same, what is the intended purpose of the build?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2012 8:30:51 AM

ANlMAL said:

Cheers!

:hello:  i am using MSi gtx 580 3GB gfx.it's great but expensive.i am sure will not find any 580 3GB for less than atleast $560.for that price go with HD 7970.Hypere 212 EVO is a great cooler for the money.
m
l
January 21, 2012 1:43:29 PM

@Everyone:

This machine is going to serve two purposes.

1. It will be my home office machine used for AutoCAD, the Adobe Creative Suite (the main reason I am going with nVidia GPU), Skechup, GIS, and an additional 3D rendering program I will be adding to my tool box this year.
2. Gaming =)

@hpdeskjet:
Thanks for the link. I am now thinking however that I will just use the built in ethernet for the time being. I don't think I will be brining this rig to the coffee shop very often :lol: 

@LothDK:

I am not thinking I am going to over-clock, mostly because the idea of it makes me feel like I would be jeopardizing the longevity of the system. Perhaps I am mistaken?

Would you perhaps suggest I go with one of the newer CPU water coolers? With two fan mounts on top of the R3 I think it would be pretty straight forward.

@hellfire24:

As I noted above the reason I went with the nVidia is for CUDA for Adobe. I am also considering bringing in a second card, perhaps a quadro or tesla, but have not yet begun to do the research on sli between different models of GPUs.

Again thanks to you all, I really appreciate your input and will be modifying my build in response. Any further advice is most welcome.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2012 1:53:26 PM

well,you can not add twodifferent gpus to work in SLi
m
l
January 21, 2012 2:23:47 PM

hellfire24 said:

bummer.
m
l
January 21, 2012 4:44:44 PM

ANlMAL said:
@Everyone:

This machine is going to serve two purposes.

1. It will be my home office machine used for AutoCAD, the Adobe Creative Suite (the main reason I am going with nVidia GPU), Skechup, GIS, and an additional 3D rendering program I will be adding to my tool box this year.
2. Gaming =)

@LothDK:

I am not thinking I am going to over-clock, mostly because the idea of it makes me feel like I would be jeopardizing the longevity of the system. Perhaps I am mistaken?

Would you perhaps suggest I go with one of the newer CPU water coolers? With two fan mounts on top of the R3 I think it would be pretty straight forward.

Again thanks to you all, I really appreciate your input and will be modifying my build in response. Any further advice is most welcome.

Well, since this is a work PC and I guess you are conscious about noise going by the case you have chosen (good case by the way), and since you are talking about the water cooler loops (pricy) I would likely look to a Noctua NH-C14 (pricy as well) as it will offer great performance while being very quiet (get the LGA2011 mounting kit and lowprofile memory).

You can get by with a lesser cooler, especially since you are not (currently) looking to overclock, just be mindful that the LGA 2011 CPUs run at higher temps than LGA 1155 when looking at what to get.
m
l
January 21, 2012 5:00:08 PM

hellfire24 said:

you can have two nvidia card in at the same time but not to the same monitor. so if you wanted to game on one monitor and work on another then getting a workstation would be ok.
m
l
January 21, 2012 5:21:41 PM

lothdk said:
You can get by with a lesser cooler, especially since you are not (currently) looking to overclock, just be mindful that the LGA 2011 CPUs run at higher temps than LGA 1155 when looking at what to get.

lothdk said:

Loth, I am curious what you would recommend as a heat-sink / fan unit?

I am open to anything and only mentioned liquid cooling as I see so many people using it.

One option I have been considering is the ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My main concern of course if ensuring the proper care of my system overall. The part type does not concern me as much as its performance and dependability.

Thanks!
m
l
January 21, 2012 5:22:50 PM

cbrunnem said:
you can have two nvidia card in at the same time but not to the same monitor. so if you wanted to game on one monitor and work on another then getting a workstation would be ok.

An interesting point. I am not sure if this would be as effective as 2 or three cards in sli?
m
l
January 21, 2012 5:29:08 PM

Sorry for all the posts in a row... messy I know...

Loth, what should I look for in terms of low profile memory?

Thanks once again. :) 
m
l
January 21, 2012 6:12:36 PM

ANlMAL said:
An interesting point. I am not sure if this would be as effective as 2 or three cards in sli?

in cad type programs no amount of gaming cards can compare to a 5000/6000 series workstation card. come to think of it idk if you can run a gaming and workstation card at the same time as they use different drivers.... if your interested in that route id try to find someone whos tried it before.
m
l
January 21, 2012 6:21:04 PM

cbrunnem said:
in cad type programs no amount of gaming cards can compare to a 5000/6000 series workstation card. come to think of it idk if you can run a gaming and workstation card at the same time as they use different drivers.... if your interested in that route id try to find someone whos tried it before.

This is the crux of the biscuit for me.

Both applications are important and I would like my computer to do both professional work and play very well.

How do Quardos hold up in gaming?

My guess would be not so hot.
m
l
January 21, 2012 7:00:27 PM

ANlMAL said:
Loth, I am curious what you would recommend as a heat-sink / fan unit?

I am open to anything and only mentioned liquid cooling as I see so many people using it.

And that is unfortunate as the WC loops that many are using are not as efficient as a good aircooler.

There certainly are cases where they make a better choice than an aircooler, but it seems many use them simply to say that they are using water cooling, as if that is somehow better (a "real" water cooling setup is something else entirely).

ANlMAL said:
One option I have been considering is the ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT

My main concern of course if ensuring the proper care of my system overall. The part type does not concern me as much as its performance and dependability.

Thanks!

Yes, I somehow got that you care about those, and that is why I linked the cooler I did.

Noctua is one of the top producers of heatsinks, and the one I linked to is all that. It will keep your CPU well within thermal limits while being quiet and supply airflow to the area surrounding the CPU, only thing detracting from it is the price.

But, if you are looking for a cooler in the $50 range then the Scythe Mugen 3 is one of the best price/performance coolers you can get.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2012 7:06:20 PM

Case: Fractal Design DEFINE R3 USB3.0 TITANIUM GREY ... whatever floats a boat

Power: Silencer Mk II 950W..... works for twin 580s

Mother Board: Asus Digi+ Rampage IV X .... lotta money bit it's the top of the line

CPU: Intel i7-3930K .... again, lotta money don't know if you'll see a return on investment.

Heatsink: ZALMAN CNPS7500 (should I improve this?)....you say you are not overclocking, so fancy cooler not necessary. But I would definitely OC, you are not going to affect the longevity of the CPU unless you are running 24/7 over 80C.

This is the current best .... but the Combo w/ the MoBo
Cooler - Phanteks PH-TC14PE Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

At half the price, this CM Hyper 612 as you can see does a smash down on the popular liquid coolers. Scythe Mugen 3 is its match
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB .... you can do rendering on GeForce cards fairly decently, of course not as ell as with Quadro workstation cards .... the reverse is much less true......gaming on workstation cards is disappointing.

Memory: G.SKILL 16GB (4 x 4GB) Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 2133 ..... No....low profile corsairs or Mushkins

Hard Drive 1: Corsair Force GT 180 GB .... The 120 GB is a Tier 6 performer ..... other 120's are at Tier 3. I'd get a tier 1
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/buy-ssd-recommendat...
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240 GB
OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 240 GB
Patriot WildFire 240 GB
Samsung 830 SSD 256 GB

Hard Drive 2: WesternD CaviarBlack WD1001FALS 1TB 7200RPM ..... Seagate Baracuda XT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Optical Drive: ASUS 24X CD/DVD Burner .... Id want BR Player capability
DVD Writer - $ 58 - Asus Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sound: Creative 70SB088000004 7.1 PCIe .... unnecessary, excellent sound on board MoBo

Network: (suggestions?) ..... unnecessary....on board

Monitor: ViewSonic Graphic Series VG2732m-LED Black 27" .... Im partial to the 23.6" 120 Mhz models ....sitting at normal viewing distances, I can see individual pixels ona 27: 1920 x 1080 monitor .... human eye can see individual pixels at PPI's under about 96

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch

m
l
January 21, 2012 7:09:26 PM

ANlMAL said:
Sorry for all the posts in a row... messy I know...

Loth, what should I look for in terms of low profile memory?

Thanks once again. :) 

There are not yet that many memory kits out with such a high frequency as you have chosen, but of those I have seen, I would likely go with the Mushkin Redline kit.

Edit: hehe, as I post this JackNaylorPE has just suggested those same memory modules.

Toms recently awarded them a recommended buy award.
m
l
January 21, 2012 8:25:25 PM

workstation gpus help viewport rendering more then actual rendering.

ripjaws will fit under a nh-d14. i have that setup right now.

you should be able to get 32gb of ram as most 2011 boards support 32gb or more.

m
l
January 21, 2012 11:16:01 PM

cbrunnem said:
workstation gpus help viewport rendering more then actual rendering.

I am not exactly sure what you are saying here, could you elaborate?

cbrunnem said:
ripjaws will fit under a nh-d14. i have that setup right now.

you should be able to get 32gb of ram as most 2011 boards support 32gb or more.

Cool. Good to know that the RJs fit. Also are you suggesting I upgrade to 32gb of RAM for a particular reason or just saying it is possible?

Thanks
m
l
January 21, 2012 11:21:14 PM

ANlMAL said:
I am not exactly sure what you are saying here, could you elaborate?

Cool. Good to know that the RJs fit. Also are you suggesting I upgrade to 32gb of RAM for a particular reason or just saying it is possible?

Thanks

this is more for like 3d modeling were you have high poly objects in the screen with some extreme smoothing modifiers and stuff that cause high poly counts. in situations like that a 580 could have a hard time updating the viewport while moving the timeline were as a workstation gpu probably wouldnt.

ram again if you find your self in high poly scenes or in situations in photshop with high usage of ram then obviously more ram will be needed.
m
l
!