High ping but good bandwidth

shazzmoe

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Speedtest.net usually gives me around 24Mbps Download and 2.5 upload. No complaints there.

However I noticed when using ventrillo my ping will spike often. It jumps all over from 15 ping to 900 ping. When doing a ping test it gave me an average 50ping and B rating. When pinging google im getting about 60ms.

I have a Motorola SB6120 cable modem and D-link Dir-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router. The first router I had would drop individual computers constantly (never at the same time) but amazon shipped us a new one and we no longer drop.

Now I'm just trying to figure out why my ping is so poor. 900ping even if it lasts for 1 second is killing me. Could it be this router? A bad wall jack, or bad modem?

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
try changing some of the settings on your router like the channel its on, there may be a conflict there. Or if you haven't in a long time (Weeks) restart the modem and router to clear out some of the junk. Just unplug them for about 5 min and plug them back in. But this may just be a by-product of living in a place that has crappy lines.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
you need to find out if the ping spikes are happening in one of 4 places

1) between you and your node
2) between your node and your isp
3)between your isp and the isp the server is on
4)between the server and their isp

easiest way to do this is to do a tracert against the server, take your first ISP reported hop, and ping -t that IP address. When playing/etc, if you notice lag, go check your pings.

If the ping to your node hasn't jumped, then rinse-and-repeat against the next major hop.