Sign in with
Your question

Somethings not right. Skyrim & HD5870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2011 6:30:59 PM

I've been having low FPS issues with my 5870 some time now and i've tried numereous things to get rid of it but no chance yet. My final issue was with the newest Elder Scroll's game Skyrim. Everyone on the internet are bragging about how their Skyrim runs 60 FPS stable on their 5870 with Ultra settings. I don't get it. My system puts it on High Settings by default, and only FPS i can get is around 30-45 on the outside (with daylight). Shouldn't i be getting 60 FPS stable with this system? I tried reducing some of the performance eating functions such as AA and AF, shadows etc, but still it makes a little difference. Is there something wrong with my system that i cannot get the full potential of my GPU? I've encountered this low fps issue with other games too. I can't help myself but to think somethings not right here.

BTW I can play Battlefield 3 on High settings with 50-60 FPS on large maps like Caspian Border, and MW3 also.

Here's my system:

ASUS G41T-M-LX Motherboard (with latest chipset driver, BIOS etc.)

Intel Q9550 Core 2 Quad 2.83 Ghz CPU with a Zalman cooler unit on it. So the temps are just fine. (I keep an eye on them all the time no throttling).

2x4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz GSKILLS RIPJAWS RAMS (Running on 1066Mhz)

ASUS EAH5870 Radeon 1 GB DDR5 Graphics Card. (11.11 Catalyst Drivers)

Coolermaster 700W Power Supply.

Creative Audigy Soundcard.

Case is a Thermaltake tower. Enough air flow. Enough Fans.

Win 7 64 Bit OS (Latest updates).

I generally play games at 1440 x 900 resolution, since i use a LCD TV as monitor which has 15:9 screen ratio.

So, whats bottlenecking me? Is this normal? Any help appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 6:34:12 PM

It's your CPU; Skyrim is a console port, meaning - CPU intensive.

I would overclock, and if that doesn't work. Then start looking at other causes...
November 22, 2011 7:06:08 PM

I managed to overclock it to 3.2 Ghz with 1333Mhz of RAM speed, and it improved like 6-7 FPS on high settings. oddly enough the CPU usage is around %50 as i'm playing. But this is about how fast a single core get things done right? Bethesda games were never fond of multiple cores anyway. So i'm gonna guess maybe this is as far as it goes.. Is there any other option?
Related resources
November 22, 2011 7:10:35 PM

Djentleman said:
It's your CPU; Skyrim is a console port, meaning - CPU intensive.

I would overclock, and if that doesn't work. Then start looking at other causes...

thank you though.
a c 376 U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 7:16:20 PM

Yes, it's your cpu that is holding the card back. Skyrim only uses 2 cores and both your CPU's architecture and clock speed aren't particularly swift at this point.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 8:00:51 PM

I think it just a gpu intense game to tell you the truth. I am running 2 5850 in cf and my cpu is at 4.0 ghz and I play on high setting with the extras turned off and get 60 fps. If I run the game on ultra I get 25 to 30 frames and it stutters real bad.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 8:06:08 PM

Funny thing about the game also is it will not take advantage of more than 2g of ram. Does not matter how much is installed or 64/32 bit. Bethesda needs to patch this in the future. So 2gig max on a cpu intensive platform can make for some stutter.
a c 376 U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 8:29:41 PM

All 32-bit applications are limited to 2gb of system RAM by default.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 9:08:22 PM

jyjjy said:
All 32-bit applications are limited to 2gb of system RAM by default.

True, true....
a c 105 U Graphics card
November 23, 2011 4:29:04 AM

there is an 11.11a patch out. might help you.
November 24, 2011 9:44:34 PM

swifty_morgan said:
there is an 11.11a patch out. might help you.

Catalyst 11.11a performance driver
Back
Last Updated
11/21/2011
Article Number
GPU-38

Elder Scrolls Skyrim

o Improves performance 2-7% on single GPU configurations

o Resolve corruption seen when enabling Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing on the AMD Radeon HD 6970 Series

o Disables CrossFireX (to resolve negative scaling and image quality issues seen when CrossFireX is enabled)

§ AMD is continuing to work on a CrossFireX solution for Skyrim – as soon as it’s ready we’ll make it publicly available

Seems promising :)  Thank you, i never would have noticed this one.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst1111...
November 24, 2011 9:50:05 PM

maybe the user should get a 64 bit operating system ???

a c 125 U Graphics card
November 24, 2011 9:56:43 PM

It's definitely a CPU bottleneck. The game only uses 2 cores - hence the 50% usage. The faster your cores the more you'll get out of it. Also I'd be willing to bet your GPUs aren't being maxed out, so you probably can set it to Ultra no problem and get the same FPS.

I'm running CF 5850s - but CF has negative scaling right now until AMD release a driver hotfix. In the meantime with a single 5850 I run it on better-than-ultra by using config tweaks and some texture mods. I get usually around 60fps indoors but only about 45 outdoors.

I'm running an i5 750 at 4ghz.

I'm also using the >2gb Large Address Aware mods which seem to help smooth it out.
!