Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge (New rig build)

Building a new rig this is what I have so far:

GPU(s): 2x 680 GTX
HDD: 2x 1 TB 7200rpm
SSD: OCZ Agility 2 120gb
PSU: CorsairATX 1200w
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengence
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011

I'm torn between Sandy bridge and Ivy bridge, if anyone could help me decide. I've read that Ivy bridges run alot hotter than Sandy but has 22nm :( I don't know which one to get for my new build I was leaning toward the 3930k to maybe get a future proof board? But X58 didn't last long so I'm still torn between an i7 2700k, Ivy bridge or a 3930k. Can anyone help out?

I know you've probably seen a few hundred of these threads but help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about bridge sandy bridge build
  1. SB if you intend on overclocking.
  2. Sandy is cheaper and will give you roughly the same performance all around
  3. bearclaw99 said:
    Sandy is cheaper and will give you roughly the same performance all around

?

SB is actually more expensive @ a lot of places.
  4. i think that 2700k would be just ok...just overclock it...3930k is very expensive
    and i dont think that you will need it
  5. Stef1_1 said:
    Building a new rig this is what I have so far:

I'm torn between Sandy bridge and Ivy bridge, if anyone could help me decide. I've read that Ivy bridges run alot hotter than Sandy but has 22nm :( I don't know which one to get for my new build I was leaning toward the 3930k to maybe get a future proof board? But X58 didn't last long so I'm still torn between an i7 2700k, Ivy bridge or a 3930k. Can anyone help out?

I know you've probably seen a few hundred of these threads but help would be appreciated.

What do you use the system for? Do you want a gaming system? In fact, there is a live tread that discusses SB or IB. Please read if you are interested.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=10&post=333415&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

thanks
  6. Ivy Bridge shouldn't be any more expensive. It does get hotter with voltage, but you can get a reasonable overclock without upping the voltage too much. If you are mainly gaming then you don't really need a big overclock to maximise performance, your dual 680s will take care of that.
  7. 2700K on a Maximus motherboard, preferably the Z77 chipset, that way you can use the Lucid MVP feature.
  8. Well after thinking about it hardly all day and the advice given on this thread I suppose Ivy bridge is a cheaper option than a 3930k and the Z77 boards are way cheaper than the X79.

Won't be as pissed off about it when I need to upgrade in the next few years.

Z77's are so tiny though! Can't wait to see a small board in an Antec 1200.

Ivy bridge it is.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Sandy Bridge