Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Here's my basic build:

Cooler Master HAF 922 case
i5 2500k processor with Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for cooler
XFX Radeon 6870
1tb WD Caviar Black
Seasonic x660 PSU

I just bought all these parts plus some other ones and I am about to build it soon

The case has some giant fans, way more than my current computer which has stayed perfectly cool for years.

The fans in the case alone are:
1 x 120mm rear fan
1 x 200mm Red LED front fan
1 x 200mm top fan

Do I need to use all of these fans? My CPU will be cooler by the Hyper 212+, pretty sufficient from what I've heard, and the VPU has a built in fan plus the PSU has one also of course

The fans just seem a bit excessive and maybe only for if you really deck out the case with like 8 hdds and tons of peripherals

Do I need to have on all three of these case fans at all times or is it safe to only turn in a few of them? Does anyone have any experience with the HAF 922?

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Are they that loud? Mine aren't. You need the intake as well as the rear exhaust. The top exhaust is less important, but the 200mm fans are very quiet. Also, you say the 212+ will cool your CPU. How will it cool it when it cannot get fresh air nor exhaust the hot air out from the heatsinks?

Why kind of parts does that current computer have?

It's OK to so some tests to see what effect turning off your case fans will have.
Monitor your system temps and find a balance between cooling and quietness you're willing to live with.

zeffolia

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
You're right I guess I hadn't thought of that

I'm very new to this, this is the first computer I've built lol

And I don't know if mine are loud I haven't turned it on yet the parts aren't assembled. I've read some complaints though but I guess I'll have to wait and see

Even with the Hyper 212+ if you do not have sufficient intake and exhaust you will just be pushing the same hot air in the case with no place for it to go. That said you might be able to get away with just the front intake and rear/top exhaust. Monitor your temps including the mainboard and cpu and see what you can get away with.