Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Best sub $100 Server CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • File Sharing
  • Servers
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2012 11:36:40 PM

Any Ideas? The Server Might Host A Website Maybe Some Data (For File Sharing For Me And Some Friends) And A Minecraft Server Which Runs Java So You Know What I Mean.

More about : 100 server cpu

a c 203 à CPUs
May 3, 2012 11:48:15 PM

Hello melikepie;

Have a 4 or 5 year old computer laying around?
That's probably all you'd need.
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2012 12:02:20 AM

WR2 said:
Hello melikepie;

Have a 4 or 5 year old computer laying around?
That's probably all you'd need.

No, im thinking a pentium duel core or 455 rana what do you think?
Related resources
a c 203 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 12:07:36 AM

Even one of the single core Celerons or Semprons should be OK.
Same for the budget Pentium and Athlons.
It's just not that demanding a workload - running a low volume server.
a c 325 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 12:45:32 AM

I3-2100 is only $90 at microcenter.
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2012 1:00:51 AM

WR2 said:
Even one of the single core Celerons or Semprons should be OK.
Same for the budget Pentium and Athlons.
It's just not that demanding a workload - running a low volume server.

Well when your running a 200 player minecraft server trust me it's a lot. It's not much for the website hosting or file sharing but it's best if i go to a micro center and buy a i3 2100 but whats the ivy bridge version of the 2100 and 2100T?
This might sound dumb but is micro center a store or a type of store?
a c 203 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 1:12:12 AM

MicroCenter is a brick and motar store in limited areas.
It's also a website. www.microcenter.com

IVB dual cores won't be out for a few weeks yet.
a c 203 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 1:13:08 AM

melikepie said:
Well when your running a 200 player minecraft server trust me it's a lot.
That's definately your most demanding application.
How much internet upload bandwidth do you have?
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2012 2:13:54 AM

WR2 said:
That's definately your most demanding application.
How much internet upload bandwidth do you have?

while playing on minecraft online (not hosting a server) i have these results from speedtest.net

11ms ping
10.95Mbps download speed
1.99Mbps upload speed
a c 203 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 2:22:14 AM

For a Minecraft server it's going to be the upload speed you're most concerned about.
Can I host a MineCraft server
a c 203 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 3:06:28 AM

Make that a $18 difference. The Atom option has a $7 shipping charge.
The Celeron/Biostar option has free shipping.

Intel Celeron G530 @ 2.40GHz has a Passmark CPU benchmark score of 2258
Intel Atom D525 @ 1.80GHz has a Passmark CPU benchmark score of 714
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2012 3:12:58 AM

WR2 said:
It might just barely do.

But for just $25 more I like this option a lot better:
Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop w/ HD Graphics $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Im thinking of getting a 2100T (or the ivy bridge version of the 2100T). Even though It's more then i want it gives me a reson to buy a cheaper power supply but mainly this is for saving power (this is going to be a 20/7 server). Will a 65w pentium overall use less power then the 2100T?
a c 203 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 3:26:12 AM

The 2100T would use less power overall I would think.
But not by much, most of the time all these CPUs would probably be down clocked and ticking over in a low power state.
It might take a couple years before you save enough electricity to pay the difference in price.
a c 203 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 3:42:48 AM

$20 a year difference? With the price being $80 apart it would take 4yrs to break even.

Core i3-2120T 2.6GHz Sandy Bridge is the same price as 2100T @ NewEgg
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2012 4:07:50 AM

A quick work of the numbers on the "Can i host a minecraft server" shows that you will need roughly the following specs to run a 200 player minecraft server

INTERNET UPLOAD SPEED of 70.00 Megabit per sec (you are currently 1.99)
INTERNET DOWNLOAD SPEED of 40.00 Megabit per sec (you are currently 10.99)
And somewhere between 16 & 24gb of RAM

Are you sure you have not bitten off more than you can chew here?
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2012 4:23:54 AM

WR2 said:
hec Micro ATX Media Center Case w/ 300W Power Supply / HTPC Case $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Im thinking about buying a trusted brand power supply but the case is nice and small, im thinking about a H70 water cooler and a pentium duel core instead of the i3 2120T what do you think?
Can you find a case that is small (micro atx)? Like a mid tower exept one of the small 1 foot tall ones, it would fit perfectly.
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2012 4:30:38 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
A quick work of the numbers on the "Can i host a minecraft server" shows that you will need roughly the following specs to run a 200 player minecraft server

INTERNET UPLOAD SPEED of 70.00 Megabit per sec (you are currently 1.99)
INTERNET DOWNLOAD SPEED of 40.00 Megabit per sec (you are currently 10.99)
And somewhere between 16 & 24gb of RAM

Are you sure you have not bitten off more than you can chew here?
I think that sight is wrong, do they sell internet that has that much download and upload?
a c 203 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 4:41:59 AM

That website tool is accurate. You can verify that will this forum for Minecraft server operations. An upload speed like yours is good for maybe a 10 person server.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/server administration/

You'd have to move from a consumer class to business class internet provider plan to get that type of bandwidth. And a just FYI the small print of your internet service contract might not allow you to run a game server. Or a web server.
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2012 4:48:06 AM

WR2 said:
That website tool is accurate. You can verify that will this forum for Minecraft server operations. An upload speed like yours is good for maybe a 10 person server.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/server administration/

You'd have to move from a consumer class to business class internet provider plan to get that type of bandwidth. And a just FYI the small print of your internet service contract might not allow you to run a game server. Or a web server.

Well im thinking about the pentium duel core now although the i3 is %50 better on passmark. So i really dont know, but it seems like RAM is better when it comes to minecraft servers. Do you know of any good small and cheap cases available? Im gonna get a seperate power supply though.
a c 203 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 5:06:37 AM

melikepie said:
thinking about a H70 water cooler and a pentium duel core instead of the i3 2120T what do you think?
I'm thinking stock air cooling and 2120T instead.

Or Pentium G620 and stock air cooling.
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2012 5:10:20 AM

WR2 said:
I'm thinking stock air cooling and 2120T instead.

Or Pentium G620 and stock air cooling.

Something that sits there 24/7 with stock cooling? At least a TX3?
a c 203 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 5:28:32 AM

Stock cooling should be fine. It's a 35W CPU after all. (or 65W for G620)
Just monitor the temps during different workloads to confirm that.
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2012 5:33:41 AM

WR2 said:
Stock cooling should be fine. It's a 35W CPU after all. (or 65W for G620)
Just monitor the temps during different workloads to confirm that.

This is what i got so far
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 400w Power Supply + Case $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 2120T CPU $135
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 1TB Seagate Barracuda $115
I Wanted This To Be Cheap But I Might Be Able To Afford It, Can you Find The Rest Of The Parts Under $100?
a c 203 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 1:06:55 PM

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120T 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($123.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-VS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Pareema 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill R363-M-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case w/400W Power Supply ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $351.93
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

It looks like the case might be $5 less with free shipping ATM. 500GB HDD is just an option

Other options:
1TB HDD / DVD Burner Combo deal saves $13 @ NewEgg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2012 8:09:49 PM

WR2 said:
CPU: Intel Core i3-2120T 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($123.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-VS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Pareema 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill R363-M-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case w/400W Power Supply ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $351.93
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

It looks like the case might be $5 less with free shipping ATM. 500GB HDD is just an option

Other options:
1TB HDD / DVD Burner Combo deal saves $13 @ NewEgg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Well... So Far I Have This

$134.99 i3 2120T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$29.99 Roswill Mini Tower Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$54.98 BIOSTAR H61MGC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$45.98 300w SeaSonic Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$104.98 1tb Seagate Barracuda HDD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

$24.99 Cruicial 4GB RAM (Dual Channel)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-...

$9.96 Rosewill 10" SATA III Cable x2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What Can I Save On?
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 1:09:28 AM

That's a lot of bandwidth required for a game that looks like wolfenstein 3D.

You can get a 150Mbit/35Mbit connection from Verizon FiOS.

Maybe you can convince this old lady to share some of her 40,000Mbit bandwidth. Enough for 120,000 users. :) 

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/hd-dvd/television/h...

a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 1:14:48 AM

Cazalan said:
That's a lot of bandwidth required for a game that looks like wolfenstein 3D.

You can get a 150Mbit/35Mbit connection from Verizon FiOS.

Maybe you can convince this old lady to share some of her 40,000Mbit bandwidth. Enough for 120,000 users. :) 

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/hd-dvd/television/h...

Well i will try to run it anyway!
I WANT THAT INTERNET!
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 1:21:57 AM

melikepie said:
Well i will try to run it anyway!
I WANT THAT INTERNET!


You can get it, it will just cost you a fortune.
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 1:36:31 AM

sk1939 said:
You can get it, it will just cost you a fortune.

So will $20 cut it? :pt1cable: 
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 1:41:34 AM

melikepie said:
So will $20 cut it? :pt1cable: 


Missing a few zeros at the end of that :D  . A 1 Gbps connection is around $6000 a month :sweat:  .
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 1:54:39 AM

sk1939 said:
Missing a few zeros at the end of that :D  . A 1 Gbps connection is around $6000 a month :sweat:  .

Hmm... well i don't really know... how can i turn $20 into like $500,000,000?
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 3:28:32 AM

melikepie said:
Hmm... well i don't really know... how can i turn $20 into like $500,000,000?


Become an elected official or an investment banker.