Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Processor help.

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 4, 2012 12:34:22 AM

I had an old computer sitting about so today I decided to take upon myself to format it, update all the drivers (used Driver Genius) and get security on it.

It's not a bad little machine but not the best, so I'm going to make it a project. I know the processor is where I should probably start and have no idea what I can upgrade to. I will supply as much information on the computer as possible in the hope that I can get some feedback.






Thanks for any help.

More about : processor

May 4, 2012 12:48:02 AM

That's an lga 775 board, which supports;
Pentium D (Smithfield) up to 3.2 GHz and Pentium4 (Prescott) up to 580 and 670.

If you can find a cpu that will work, chances are its at a high price.
May 4, 2012 12:50:52 AM

Will they make a substantial difference? Will they bring my Windows Experience Index rating up?

I will Google some now.
Related resources
May 4, 2012 12:56:29 AM

You may see a noticeable difference, but nothing ground breaking. You have to figure out if the price/performance ratio stacks up in your favor.
May 4, 2012 12:58:14 AM

What is your budget for this? you would see better returns by upgrading your cpu and motherboard together to something newer.
a c 283 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 1:00:16 AM

Quote:
Will they bring my Windows Experience Index rating up?


WEI is a joke, so don't worry about that part. But I agree with kelthic, a new mobo/CPU combo will probably be a much wiser investment.
May 4, 2012 1:01:37 AM

kelthic said:
What is your budget for this? you would see better returns by upgrading your cpu and motherboard together to something newer.


I don't have a budget, I was hoping you guys would give me a rough price.

Yes, I would upgrade my mobo too.

You got any ideas? Must fit my current case though.
May 4, 2012 1:08:06 AM

Inconclusive said:
I don't have a budget, I was hoping you guys would give me a rough price.

Yes, I would upgrade my mobo too.

You got any ideas? Must fit my current case though.


Well... Which case do you have?
May 4, 2012 1:12:08 AM

Also what do you want to be able to do with this pc. when you say "I don't have a budget", that leaves room for every conceivable upgrade under the sun. You might get an i3 suggestion, which would be a relatively budget purchase, or you might get an i7-3770k suggestion, which would be very expensive and one of the best cpu's on the market. It's hard to judge where to start unless you provide a little more direction for us.
May 4, 2012 1:14:01 AM

robertris2 said:
Well... Which case do you have?


I take it you didn't look at the pictures?

The case for the HP Pavilion 061.

This one to be exact.
May 4, 2012 1:17:06 AM

kelthic said:
Also what do you want to be able to do with this pc. when you say "I don't have a budget", that leaves room for every conceivable upgrade under the sun. You might get an i3 suggestion, which would be a relatively budget purchase, or you might get an i7-3770k suggestion, which would be very expensive and one of the best cpu's on the market. It's hard to judge where to start unless you provide a little more direction for us.


I see where you're coming from.

I just plan to use it for my son to play some Lord of the Rings game online with no lag and medium graphics. He uses Photoshop as well but only for small time stuff so as long as it can run okay that is fine. I don't need or want to pay a fortune.

Maybe in the region of £100 - £150?
May 4, 2012 1:19:33 AM

LOTRO is a pretty fun game. Go with an I3 2120 and an H61 motherboard and you should have a pretty good start on the computer.
May 4, 2012 1:23:35 AM

kelthic said:
LOTRO is a pretty fun game. Go with an I3 2120 and an H61 motherboard and you should have a pretty good start on the computer.


I Googled h61 but lots of different mobos came up.

Could your provide a link please?
May 4, 2012 1:32:14 AM

Thanks a lot guys, would my other parts and case be compatible too?
a c 283 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 1:36:52 AM

Inconclusive said:
Thanks a lot guys, would my other parts and case be compatible too?


Well, you would definitely need new RAM too, actually. And here's the sticky bit: You might actually need a new HDD and optical drive too, if they're not SATA.
a c 283 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 1:40:56 AM

Addendum to my post above: You COULD use a PCI IDE card for the optical drive, but the HDD would have to be SATA, since you can't boot from an IDE device on a PCI card I don't think.
May 4, 2012 1:41:30 AM

Lol you may also need a new psu.
May 4, 2012 1:43:48 AM

agree with the ram, the HDD can use an adapter from ide to sata. Also, now that i'm thinking about it, you're windows license is prob tied to the old motherboard with an HP computer... Might be better to consider some other options.
a c 283 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 1:43:55 AM

robertris2 said:
Lol you may also need a new psu.


I think that may be the ONE thing he won't have to replace. Even a 250W PSU should be fine without a discreet GPU.
a c 283 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 1:45:50 AM

But yes, after some thought, it seems that the best Pentium D or P4 that you can find that works with that mobo is your best option after all, on that budget.
May 4, 2012 1:47:16 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I think that may be the ONE thing he won't have to replace. Even a 250W PSU should be fine without a discreet GPU.


Won't he need an 8 pin atx for the cpu? What if he has no sata plugs
a c 283 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 1:48:29 AM

robertris2 said:
Won't he need an 8 pin atx for the cpu? What if he has no sata plugs


Yep, you're right. I was stupidly assuming that it would, lol.
May 4, 2012 1:57:10 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yep, you're right. I was stupidly assuming that it would, lol.


:D 
I attempted to upgrade a 7 year old sony vaio recently, was going to spend 60 bucks on 1gb of pc 3200, realized the idiocy, then built my current rig :) 

May 4, 2012 2:02:28 AM

yeah the more i think about it, the bigger a project this becomes. You might consider scouring the secondary market for a used machine. Back in the day, i had a Core 2 Duo and an 9800 GT card to play lotro. That 250 you have might work good as long as you can find an updated CPU.
a c 283 à CPUs
May 4, 2012 2:11:42 AM

I should have been the voice of reason here in the first place (I usually am), but I got caught up in the "upgrade everything is better" mentality, lol.

In any case, kelthic is once again right. An older (but still newer than what you have) used system would be cheaper than a complete system overhaul, for sure. I'll still say to look and see what the prices for the best compatible CPU's for your current system are. If they're decent, that's the best option in this case, but it still might not be enough for the game at medium settings (admittedly, I don't know much about LOTRO, though).
May 4, 2012 10:57:38 AM

Thanks a lot guys for your input. I will probably get a used system then. Even if it's out of my budget range it will save me money ultimately because I would've got the mobo-cpu combo and then had to buy everything else lol.
!