Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which PC system should I buy?

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2012 2:18:56 PM

I'm not sure if this the correct place to post this, but it seemed the most appropriate.

I've been planning on buying a new computer, since the one I currently own has been freezing up and slowing down Anything I've done to fix it doesn't work :S.
Anyways I've been needing a major upgrade since, so buying a new PC will do perfect!
I plan to buy from this wallmart website which sells allot of PC's. Most of the gaming computers I've seen on it are nice, but the graphic card in it is some junk that they are falsely advertising that can run current games with lighting speeds! So instead of dishing out the extra money for their fancy case, I was going to buy a regular PC from them and outfit it with my own graphics card and power supply.

Now my question is, which of these computers do you think would make a better deal?

This one had a better processor overall.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-HP-H8-1110/17327720

This one has the least amount of RAM and "not as good" or a processor, but has a little more HDD space
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Computers-PT.GBL02.R17/1...

This one has more RAM and HDD space, with a processor that falls in between both of the other computers that I have linked.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ZT-Systems-7645Mi-Desktop-PC-...

I am aware of websites such as I Buy Power, but the wall-mart website has been the cheapest that I have found. I trust the brands Gateway and HP, but I have never heard of ZT.
I plan to use the new computer for playing Batman Arkhem, BF2, WoW, TOR, and The Witcher (And other future games.)
I don't care much for huge amounts of HDD space, and ZT's 16GB of RAM is overkill (Its also expandable to 32GB O_O). But in a matter of months 16GB will be considered a good amount instead of overkill.
The HP computer and it's faster processor are great, but is 3.1GHz really any better then 3GHz?
And last but not least, the Gateway computer and its nice and flexible price grabbed my attention. I can expand the RAM to 8GB's if I ever need to, and it doesn't come bogged down in all of windows junk! However the processor is not as great as the other two, but it seems more then perfect to run the latest games!

More about : system buy

Best solution

January 21, 2012 5:07:17 PM

The HP does not make sense since you will want to buy a graphic card, and the HP already has a weak one that you would have to sell or stick in a drawer.

You will not need 16gb for a long time unless you are running virtual machines.

That leads me to the Gateway. It has sufficient RAM, more than adequate storage, and a fast enough CPU -- and it leaves you with some money to buy a good graphic card, which is the most important addition for gaming purposes. If you do go with the Gateway, heed their warning about making your own recovery disk as they do not ship them with their machines any more.
January 21, 2012 5:48:50 PM

RealBeast said:
The HP does not make sense since you will want to buy a graphic card, and the HP already has a weak one that you would have to sell or stick in a drawer.

You will not need 16gb for a long time unless you are running virtual machines.

That leads me to the Gateway. It has sufficient RAM, more than adequate storage, and a fast enough CPU -- and it leaves you with some money to buy a good graphic card, which is the most important addition for gaming purposes. If you do go with the Gateway, heed their warning about making your own recovery disk as they do not ship them with their machines any more.

Yea I know what that can be like. I think the Gateway may come with a factory partition on the drive that holds recovery points though. That what this HP i am using currently has in replace for the discs, although i would prefer the discs :S
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2012 6:06:57 PM

Best answer selected by Morkintash.
m
l
January 21, 2012 6:14:59 PM

All of the major OEM machines I've ever come across, at least in the last decade or two, have recovery partitions and now with drive sizes so large they are starting to put the recovery disks themselves on the hdds understandably to save money in a commodity business. A while back you could download repair disk images free, but MS wanted a piece of that so now they sell on Amazon form $10.

I do all my own builds, but after the OS and program install the first thing that I do is make a recovery disk with necessary drivers to repair the simple issues quickly, like repairing the SRP boot drive information so I can swap out mirrored ssds.
m
l
!