Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Enable integrated graphics after dedicated graphics fail

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2011 9:30:36 PM

Hello, how can I enable my integrated graphics when my dedicated card failed? I am not sure it is a graphics card problem so I want to enable the onboard graphics to make sure before I buy a new card but how can I if the PC will not display the Bios settings?

The PC In question is a desktop HP Pavilion Elite m9500y with Windows Vista SP1. I don’t know the Bios version, so can someone please tell me how I can enable my integrated graphics.
a c 540 U Graphics card
November 22, 2011 9:50:49 PM

Removing the discrete graphics card should enable the integrated graphics.
Score
November 23, 2011 3:38:08 PM

I tried this with no luck, so should I still replace the graphics card or does the problem lie elsewhere? Also when I tried this both my hard drive and optical drive were removed. Would that impact my cause of failure or should the moniter still display something on the screen without the HDD?

PS The fans run at full speed all of the time.
Score
Related resources
a c 540 U Graphics card
November 23, 2011 4:18:06 PM

I would try clearing the CMOS to set all BIOS settings to their default options..

Optical and hard disk drives are not required for the system to pass the POST (i.e. Power On Self Test) process.

Which video port on the Back I/O panel do you have the monitor connected to?

What is the make and model of the monitor?
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
November 23, 2011 5:08:34 PM

Yes, reset the BIOS to its default settings. You can do this by removing the battery on the motherboard(shouldn't be too hard to spot) for a minute then putting it back in.
Score
November 24, 2011 5:03:01 AM

My monitor is connected to a VGA port on the motherboard and I have tried two monitors, a LCD and a CRT. Both monitors work on my other PCs, so it’s not a monitor problem. I also tried resetting the BIOS by removing the battery on the motherboard for at least 5 minutes, still no luck. My PC had this very same problem in April 2010 and it was under warranty at the time so the folks at best buy fixed it and said it was caused by a graphics card failure. What is new this time is that the OS would crash more frequently all the time with a blue screen event titled “Bad Pool Header”. It got so bad that I had to reinstall the OS every day to use it, until it stopped working altogether. I read somewhere online that the “bad pool header” event was caused by malfunctioning RAM, is that true? Should I replace all 8GB of my RAM? :cry: 
Score

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
November 24, 2011 2:13:46 PM

If you suspect a RAM issue then you can take out all but one DIMM of RAM and see if it works. If not swap it out for a different one. It's unlikely all your RAM has gone bad at once so this will test them individually. If that doesn't work then the RAM is probably fine.
November 25, 2011 6:32:37 AM

Thanks, I'll try that
Score
November 25, 2011 8:01:09 PM

ok I removed all but one stick of ram and hooked the tower back up to the monitor. All of a sudden the fans slow down and the boot screen appears, so with a bit of trial and error I will be able to pinpoint the bad ram stick. Thank you all for your help. :wahoo: 
Score
November 25, 2011 8:03:03 PM

Best answer selected by bDavidrk.
Score
!