Sign in with
Your question

Putting my GTX 560 into my Inspiron 530 possible?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2011 9:32:11 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I would like to put in the order asap, but Can wait through this month if necessary.
BUDGET RANGE: $100 Before / $100 After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [League of Legends, Starcraft 2, Skyrim, and most if not all upcoming graphics intensive games], home theater/watching movies.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: On board video card and 350W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Core2Quad Q6600, Foxcon DG33M03, 4gigs of ram(foget what kind)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg? or any other option that saves money

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES:

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, but I'd rather keep my machine stable and longer lasting SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I really don't think this is possible unless I swap out the MB, which is not something I'm looking to do.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is the speccs for the computer as I bought it:

Dell Inspiron 530
PROCESSOR Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic - English
MEMORY 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
HARD DRIVE 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
VIDEO CARD Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive Included
MODEM & WIRELESS 56K PCI Data Fax Modem

The only change is that I replaced the ram with 4 gigs of ram.

The situation for me is that I am currently using a gaming laptop and recently won a GTX 560 in a raffle and really wanted to put it to use, but cannot afford to spend the money to build a machine that I would want to build around this card. So I remembered I have the Inspiron 530 and was hoping I would be able to buy a new PSU and add the new card in for a decent machine as a budget option.

Does anyone know if this would work? I am worried that the card doesn't on the MB and also think it might just be too long.

The other issue I think would come up if it does work is over heating so what options would I have for keeping the machine cool after the card is installed?

Thank you for your time!

(e.g.: Need to have better than stock cooling; Want a card with a lifetime warranty; Must run Crysis with full AA on a three-display setup, etc.)
November 22, 2011 10:05:22 PM

Is it a 560 Ti? or just a 560? how many amps are on your 12v rail on the 350 watt psu? what brand is the PSU- is it a dell psu that the inspiron came with?
m
l
November 22, 2011 10:09:21 PM

The PSU is the one that the inspiron came with.

As for if it's a Ti or just a 560 I will have to check again when I head home from work in 20 mins.

I do not know how many amps are on the PSU, when I find out I'll post it here
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2011 10:11:00 PM

the 560 non ti will draw about 155 watts on full load, give or take a few watts, and 560 ti's draw about 177 watts on full load .

your CPU needs about 105 watts with a load and no over clocking, 1 hdd, and a few case fans, plus memory and a dvd drive youll be pretty close maybe 315 watts?

if its a 560 regular youll have better luck, but id recommend at least a 450 watt PSU if its a gtx 560ti

m
l
November 22, 2011 10:15:09 PM

you can use this tool to give you a better idea of what you need

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

put in your PC's peripherals, (how many sticks of ram, how many fans, how many SATA hdd's, no floppy, one geforce gtx 560 ti, your USB devices (keyboard/mouse? webcam? anything else?) your case fans, the size and how many, select 1 physical cpu, and make it an intel q6600

it does a pretty good job of calculating what you need, from what you told me, its suggesting a 337 watt minimum , but recommends a 387 watt PSU
m
l
November 22, 2011 10:18:26 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into finding a PSU just just i case.
m
l
November 22, 2011 11:32:48 PM

ah excellent
m
l
!