Next best upgrade for my recently built pc

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
So just recently built my first computer from the ground up (really stoked about it) and now the obsession of making it a finer machine has overtaken me. Now, my question is what are the best upgrades I should get coming up for my system. Many thanks in advance.

990fx Gigabyte mobo
hd 6770
500w ocz mod psu
8gb hyper kingston
athlon x4 645
500gb WD caviar blue

Thanks again.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
yah my cpu was taken from out of my old hp. given my setup how far can I take my PSU towards graphics cards and processor? I'd like to have some sort of budget, and 600ish for the gpu is a bit far out for me lol. $200-300 more in at this point towards everything is what I have in mind.

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$229.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $209.99 and free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130623

Your new obsession will drive you broke or for a better term computer poor.
This card will give you quite a boost in performance and it will work with your 500w psu. I know you have gone with AMD as your cpu and motherboard choice but if gameing is your main use for this computer then you will be better off with Intel's Sandy Bridge and while it's too late to change now in the future you should look at Ivy Bridge and make a change latter on.

imo, stick with your current build. wait till piledriver and the rest of 7000 series cards and nvidia's new kepler cards come out later this year. if they turn out okay (in piledriver's case, better than bulldozer fx) then upgrade to pd cpu + midange 28 nm gfx card e.g. radeon hd 7850/7790 or geforce 660.

ford1

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Not that I am an expert or anything, but just my opinion. If I were you I would upgrade the power supply first...that will give you the foundation to go whatever direction you want in the future. If you really get the bug, you will definately want a different power supply.

I am of the opinion you can never have too much power, not only in computers, but just about anything else, for instance Home Theater Amps or Receivers...Just my two cents.