Fan replacement

xtroll

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hi there

The fan on one of my Sapphire 6870 just died (1 year and 6 days after purcase..... 6 days to much),
So im looking for a replacement.

Im not really looking for a fan thats super effective or extremly silent, It wont really make any diffrent as my "Working" crossfiered card wont get any cooler or make less noise anyway.

I really just need a fan that will make the card last another year before im bothered to update them.

I'm considering buying this fan:
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/375/accelero-twin-turbo-ii.html

But as it costs 1/3 of a brand new card of the same type, im wondering if it will be worth it?

Any recomandations / thoughts would be aprichiated :D

jeffredo

Distinguished
I put that HSF on my year old GTX 460 1GB and its excellent. I got it for $37 from Mwave.com and I feel it was worth it since I was able to OC my card much higher than I could before (and should be able to extend its useful life as a result). There are less expensive Arctic Cooling fans that are compatible with your HD 6870 if you didn't want to spend that much.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?px=FO&scriteria=AA79372

This would be the pants off any OEM fan out there.

xtroll

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

I was thinking somthing like that :p, All i have to spend in that case is some new therlmal paste.

Silly design, it wont let be detatch the old fan without detatching the heatsink.....

The Dead fan isent 100% dead.... It makes horrible Grinding noises, Vibrates like mad, before it stops once in a while....., And it causes the GPU to shut down (Im guessing because of the temprature, havent deared to test.. As the Vibrating cant be good for any part in my Computer)

xtroll

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

I see your point Jeffero, thing is im running a Crossfire Setup so overclocking 1 of my cards and not the other wont really benifit me, getting 2 aftermarket fans wont fit in my computer as im not shure the 3'd slot is crossfire compatible, atleast I know it's a x8 slot and not x16 on a Rampage Extreme 2.

xtroll

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Triple post actualy.... The forum refuses to let me edit...

Checked out Jeffredos link, and the price is absolutly acceptable, thing is that fan got a 120W Cooling Capacity, I heard I need 250 w, Should I be worried?

I only need the card to last untill after summer somtime, as I got a gut feeling it will pay off to wait with the replacement. getting a 6990 isent really a major upgrade, want to see what comes next.