Is the core i3 for me?

alex2718

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
So Im about to build my pc and I don't know which processor to get core i3 vs core i5. Do you guys think the core i3 can handle gaming like batman and need for speed with a dedicated gpu (gtx 560 ti or 7770). People say it can't but reviews on newegg say their underestimated, what do you guys think.

My task(most to least important) gaming, office word and ppt, Internet

Thanks for looking

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
CPU is usually affected by number of objects in the scene. So lowering options like "visible range" and "object detail" can helpt the CPU. But if the game runs good at 1024x768, then 1920x1080 should also work, provided the GPU can still perform.
Regarding what "most people say", they probably say with IGP, not discrete GPU.

PS: Most games are optimized for 2 cores. Even with HT (which i3 has), most games should be ok.
PS2: GTX 550 vs GTX 560 are 2 completely different chips. So a game unplayable on 550 could be great on 560.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
The i3 would do you for gaming however if you can afford the i5 its a better long term investment to get it as the quadcore will likely become increasingly relevent (BF3 multiplayer right now, MOH warfighter coming soon based on same engine.... the trend to utilising a quad is coming).

Personally due to the above reason I find it hard to recommend anyone buys a dual core myself unless budget forces it. If I was you and could afford an i5 now I would get it if I couldnt afford an i5 I wouldnt even get an i3 I would get a Phenom II X4 965BE and a good cooler and OC to 4GHZ the mobos are cheaper for more features so it free's up cash elsewhere. However if you can afford an i5 without dropping down on your Graphics card get that.

The 550ti is a ENTRY level card. I use one now but its a temporary thing till 680's release some decent non reference designs and become a bit more available you can get decent frame rates from it but it requires a pretty hefty OC to even attempt to keep up with a decent CPU. I can push high in BF3 (no AA) on mine with decent FPS but its OC'd to an irresponsible level as I dont give a cr@p if its lifespan is shortened. Trying to stretch to a 560ti may be a better plan if you want yours to last.

Building a rig is all about balance its pointless getting the best CPU around if you then pair it to a bargain bin GPU or vice versa you want parts that allow themselves to maximise each others potentiol.

Your question would be somewhat easier if you posted a budget.

Even a Radeon 6870 can hold its own against a 560 TI, and its a little cheaper, that can give you a better balance. I likewise agree a quad core is a better choice, be it a Phenom II or an i5. Even so, the games you mentioned specifically, yes the i3 will probably be okay.. But a quad core regardless of the choice in currently available models is a better idea.

Yes sir, you're correct, however those benchmarks show games optimized for 2 cores. There are already a couple games that can utilize 4, this will change as software catches up to hardware technology.

willzzz

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah as wr6133 says if you can afford the quad core chips then do it, but if you are on a budget then the i3 will run just fine for now.

I just guessed that if he was debating the choice it was because he couldn't really afford the i5.

the other advantage of the i5 is that you can get the Ivy Bridge version whereas this isn't yet available for i3.

alex2718

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
So thanks for all your comments and interest i think im going to go with an i5 3450 its only 70 bucks more than the i3s but what mobo should i get it has to be an h77 or z77 right any recommendations on one under $130 and what graphics card under $200

sk1939

Distinguished

Z77, skip H77.

Graphics card: HD6870 or GTX 560 for that budget range.

Motherboards:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
MSI Z77A-G43
ASRock Z77 Pro4
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H

sk1939

Distinguished

There's enough of a difference to be noticeable (5-10FPS), not enough to matter if the price is right.

33217.png

perf_oc.gif

avp.jpg

In call of duty there is no noticeable difference at all as both of them exceed the 60FPS frame rate limitation of the computer monitor.

You'd be hard pressed to notice a 5-10FPS difference above 40FPS, BUT, I do agree on spending the extra couple of bucks on the 6870 on general principle, but not noticeability in gameplay.

TRENDING THREADS