3 monitor setup/gpu's ???

crash14me2

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I have a asus cg 1330-07 with an 800 psu and 1 gtx 460. I am looking to add a 3 monitor setup and am wondering if i should and if i can add another gtx to this motherboard. If i can does it have to be another 460? We mostly run a racing sim nothing else. Just want to run everything in at at full settings. I am running full setting now with no issues what so ever but im hooked to a tv through HDMI. Would can yall suggest on the GPU's and what monitors would you reccomend for a triple setup, possibly 24-27" setups. Thanks in advance.

Wayne

G

First and foremost, screen size is irrelevant. You focus on resolution, so 24-27'' would all be 1920x1080. You could add another 460 for SLI if you have room, but I don't think it would be high performing. You should move up to 560 Ti SLI or 560 SLI if you want to spend the money. Check on newegg, they have nice 24'' monitors for $150-$200 a piece which is very nice. Quality monitors too.

target50

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
if you dont have a graphic card with the identical gpu, only thing you can do is run the secondary as a dedicted drive, to help the performance of the primary videocard. if you want to run a 3 monitor setup, i think you need to run SLI with the same 460 that you currently have. but 460 arent as much as it used to be so you should be able to get a hold of them pretty easily :)

have fun gaming!

G

If it only supports Crossfire then no. Only if it supports both. If it's only crossfire that's allowed you should go with something like two 6950 1gb's if you want to drop the $500 (well worth it, you'll be able to run almost anything at max)

crash14me2

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure. I hate to go buy 2 more cards but i will if i have to, this 460 isnt to old really. The MB is a ASUS M4A78LT-M . Just talked to a friend that runs 3 monitors on a single 6970 without any issues (he says) ...?

G

I don't think that's possible, unless there's many ports on the back of the card. I think it's only Nvidia that needs multi-GPU's for 3 monitors but I'm not sure. He may have a monitor plugged onto his motherboard if it has onboard video, which once again, I'm not totally sure about. My screw around computer has a cheapy little $30 9500gt. I can run two monitors using my motherboard's onboard graphics for one.

A single AMD 6950 will run three monitors at once however at least one of your monitors will need to support Display Port. As far as I know Nvidia requires two cards just to support more than two monitors. If your mainboard does not support SLI you should be able to run another card as a secondary but you would not get the benefit of SLI so it would not help in gaming but would for just the desktop.

loneninja

Distinguished
AMD/ATI cards from the 5000 and 6000 series have technology called eyefinity, this supports up to 6 displays on a single card, but only a limited number of cards are actually produced with enough out puts for 6 monitors, most are 3 max. The first 2 monitors can use any combination of VGA, DVI, HDMI that happens to be on the card, but the 3rd-6th monitors require display port. I know they make active display port adapters, but they're some what expensive, since you still need to purchase monitors it may be best to just find monitors that support display port input.

TRENDING THREADS