High cpu temps from playing gta iv

seph4life

Honorable
May 3, 2012
While playing GTA iv I noticed my cpu is getting max temps of 77C. All other games I play never put the cpu past upper 50s or low 60s. I'm pretty sure it is only hitting those high temps while loading and it isn't staying that high very long. I only noticed because I started running Core-temp while gaming so I really can't say how long it stays at those temps but when I minimize the game I have never seen the current temp above about 54-58C. I was just wondering if this is normal, as I know gta iv can be a resource hog. And if its not normal what can I do about it? I'm not really noticing any performance issues, but I'm concerned because that cpu is only rated for 72C and I don't want to damage it. I need this system to last.

My system:

i7 2700k Sandy Bridge cpu (not overclocked)

ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze

180GB Intel 520 series SSD boot drive

EVGA 680GTX Superclocked+ Graphics Card

Win 7 Pro

Solution
GTA 4 is a resource hog, if it 77C according to Core Temp, then that's what temp CPU is hitting while you are playing the game. When you minimize the game the CPU temp naturally drops because that causes the game to pause.

Core Temp has a logging feature under 'Tools'. just check off 'Logging On' and it will start recording your temps to a text file in the directory where you installed Core Temp to. It takes a reading every 10 seconds until you un-check 'Logging On'.
GTA 4 is a resource hog, if it 77C according to Core Temp, then that's what temp CPU is hitting while you are playing the game. When you minimize the game the CPU temp naturally drops because that causes the game to pause.

Core Temp has a logging feature under 'Tools'. just check off 'Logging On' and it will start recording your temps to a text file in the directory where you installed Core Temp to. It takes a reading every 10 seconds until you un-check 'Logging On'.

Solution

seph4life

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Thanks for the replys. I'll turn on the logging feature in Core-temp as Jaguar suggested to ensure that it isn't hitting those temps for more than a few seconds at a time.