DDR or sdram?

G

Hi, guys I'm planing to bye a new system, an amd athlon 1200mhz, with a geforce3 but i'm confused about the memory
ram, so whats better a 256mb DDRsdram or a 512 mb pc133 sdram?
HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP...

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well I am in the same boat. I am planning on buying the Abit KT7A RAID next week with the 1.2gig TBird. Basically the PC2100 DDR stuff is faster than any amount of PC133 SDRAM, but there are other factors to consider. The cost of SDRAM is way lower than PC2100 DDR right now. I have 384megs of PC133 sitting around at home (sure beats $200 for 256meg DDR). The biggest negative is the lack of DDR boards to chose from. I was looking at the Asus A7M266, but I have only heard bad things about it. Asus even removed the multiplier settings so you can't OC with it. I have heard the MSI K7 Master is good, but I can't find it. The ALI chipset boards don't have much better performance over SDRAM boards. So the choice is obvious for me. Go with the Abit (awesome OC board), and with the money I save, invest in 2 IBM drives RAIDed, and the 1.2 TBird C with a big HS/FAN. This setup has been known to hit 1450MHz easy and the IBM's RAIDed will give a nice performance increase too. Good luck on your decision.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
512MB is only good for programs that actually use that much. (Most likely you aint gonna see 512MB of usage any time soon in games or such). For the price you can't beat PC-133 CAS2. DDR's performance from what I've seen only has about 20% more performance than PC-133 CAS2, but I have yet to see reviews of Mushkins 2.5-2-2 DDR with the Hyundai chips. They're around $400 so...

<font color=red>Take my advice with a grain of salt, for</font color=red> <font color=blue>I AM A DUMB-ASS!!!</font color=blue>

G

The ddr has only 10% more performance than the pc133 one , not 20%.
And your right 512mb of ram is unusiful, but 512mb of pc133 is cheaper than 256 ddr sdram so what you think, i'l go for sdr or ddr?

G

Yes the hyundai rams are good, very good, it's like micron and the others.
But theire cars are bad, very very bad.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Micron RAm is actually pretty crappy. They use generic PCB's and such with Micron memory chips. Very low grade and can't run much above spec. Crucial however, a division of Micron, makes some of the best RAM availible. They too use Micron chips, but the rest is also very high quality. Strongly recommended for OCing.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

mpjesse

Splendid
DDR's performance increases as the FSB increases. So, if you plan on a Athlon C- plan on DDR SDRAM- PC1600 is the same price as SDRAM and outperforms PC133 memory. I think the choice is clear.

-MP Jesse

"Idle time is the devil's time. Intel better start working!"