Sign in with
Your question
Closed

MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III; worth it or 560 TI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2011 11:42:54 PM

Hola peeps, I've been inundating you all with questions about GPUs lately but I think I'm settling finally on Nvidia 560 TI or 570s in my rig. I've got $214 in store credit with Newegg so I have some wiggle room, but not much.

Here are the cards I'm looking at most:

MSI 570 Twin Frozr III
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gigabyte 570 Superclocked

and the

Sparkle 560 Ti DF Calibre
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/sparkle...

I've heard great things about all cards, especially their overclocking potential for the money, but I'm looking for a more experienced eye on this issue as next year is right around the corner with new cards and new standards and the upcoming 560 TI 448 CUDA card is coming out at the end of this month so I'm still unsure of what to think/buy.

If anyone disagrees with these cards for the money ($200-385 budget) or can input on it as well, that would really help me out a lot :) 
November 23, 2011 1:22:44 AM

gameranew22 said:
Hola peeps, I've been inundating you all with questions about GPUs lately but I think I'm settling finally on Nvidia 560 TI or 570s in my rig. I've got $214 in store credit with Newegg so I have some wiggle room, but not much.

Here are the cards I'm looking at most:

MSI 570 Twin Frozr III

Gigabyte 570 Superclocked

and the

Sparkle 560 Ti DF Calibre
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/sparkle...

I've heard great things about all cards, especially their overclocking potential for the money, but I'm looking for a more experienced eye on this issue as next year is right around the corner with new cards and new standards and the upcoming 560 TI 448 CUDA card is coming out at the end of this month so I'm still unsure of what to think/buy.

If anyone disagrees with these cards for the money ($200-385 budget) or can input on it as well, that would really help me out a lot :) 

from what I know, the EVGA super clocked 1 gb (at 900 mhz) is one of the best deals out there. it is $250, but $230 after MIB. reviewers state that overclocking it to 950+ mhz is easy. Factor that in with low power consumption, lifetime warranty, and the fact that that warranty WILL NOT be voided if you overclock makes that card a steal. For my first build I believe I'm set on this one unless they release a good 448 core version.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the 448 core though. I've been real interested in it as well, but if they price it like people are suggesting ($300), it will be a useless card, as it uses more power than the 560 ti, has less performance than the 570, AND doesn't have much headroom for overclocking due to the different chip used in it (it IS NOT the same chip used in the 560 ti).
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 23, 2011 3:07:49 AM

For what you listed, the Twin Frozer III is the best for the cooling and noise level then the Gigabyte. You should stay away from EVGA because of the reference design (more heat & noise issues).
And it depends on your frustration, If you can wait until the new GTX 560ti is released and see benchmarks then decide whether to go for it or get the GTX 570, but in most cases the new GTX 560ti is said to be outperforming the GTX 570, SOC GTX 560ti cards are 11% slower than the GTX 570s.
Score
Related resources
November 23, 2011 3:33:07 AM

ilysaml said:
For what you listed, the Twin Frozer III is the best for the cooling and noise level then the Gigabyte. You should stay away from EVGA because of the reference design (more heat & noise issues).
And it depends on your frustration, If you can wait until the new GTX 560ti is released and see benchmarks then decide whether to go for it or get the GTX 570, but in most cases the new GTX 560ti is said to be outperforming the GTX 570, SOC GTX 560ti cards are 11% slower than the GTX 570s.

there is nothing wrong with the reference design. the only "disadvantage" is that there is only 1 fan. The heat pipes and fan spreaders do a great job of dissipating the heat. Granted, the Twin Frozr III is indeed the best, but you are talking about marginal gains, and two fans to worry about going out. I would definitely hold off a purchase until they release the 448 core at the very end of november for two reasons.
1. The price of the Ti's will immediately go down, helped by Moore's law
2. The performance gains may just be better than a heavily overclocked 560 ti to justify the cost.

However, the 448 core Ti's will be using a lot more power (based on the 570 chip), so if you are running a 750 watt psu, you can kiss SLI-ing goodbye. 560 ti's SLI very well.
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 23, 2011 4:30:34 AM

Your only "disadvantage" causes more 15C degrees than any other non reference design card or even a SOC card in full load . Running a customized fan profile via Afterburner or a similar software will get the card to run as a vacuum machine and it won't help reduce the heat that much reaching the results of non ref design cards.
Score
a c 592 U Graphics card
November 23, 2011 5:22:10 AM

The Twin Frozr cooler is dumping all that heat straight inside the case, while the reference vapor chamber cooler on the EVGA sends all heat outside the case. The reference cooler on a GTX 570 is very quiet and effective. Contrary to popular belief, the Twin Frozr cooler is calibrated for tempertures at the expense of noise, and is one of the noisier custom coolers.

This is for the 580, but it's the same cooler:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/840-8/roundup-a-revi...
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 23, 2011 6:10:16 AM

Sounds like your source is the only exception.
Since the lightening using the same design as the TF III except for the Power arch

Other reviewers reported the opposite, 40 db 75 CM away from the case
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-580-light...
44.7 db 30 CM away from the case

Score
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2011 6:42:10 AM

Gigabyte GTX 570 SOC +1
Cool windforce 3x
Score
November 23, 2011 12:49:06 PM

17seconds said:
The Twin Frozr cooler is dumping all that heat straight inside the case, while the reference vapor chamber cooler on the EVGA sends all heat outside the case. The reference cooler on a GTX 570 is very quiet and effective. Contrary to popular belief, the Twin Frozr cooler is calibrated for tempertures at the expense of noise, and is one of the noisier custom coolers.

This is for the 580, but it's the same cooler:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/840-8/roundup-a-revi...

Yeah I was going to bring that point up as well if I could've just found that. :) 
Again though, all the reviews I have seen for the reference card cooling say that it does a good job. Does the Twin Frozr III run cooler? Yep. Does it actually make any difference? Nope, not unless you have a teeny tiny case and OC to ridiculous amounts.
Score
November 23, 2011 9:38:58 PM

wow, great answers and help yall! Thanks :)  I don't know what to do, I'm stumped...kinda. The MSI Twin Frozr III 6950 on Newegg looks great to me as well and comes with Deus Ex at 80 bucks less which is a big plus for me and I've heard it's pretty simple to unlock the shaders on that badboy.

I've heard great things about the SOC as well and the Twin Frozr III 570 is clearly the most expensive out of all of them. It's hard to say what I should do; sacrifice power but get a better deal and better game with the 6950, get the 570 and basically *** on every game that's out there in 1920X1200 but be hurtin financially a bit more or, as I see it, go the middle ground and get the SOC?

Decisions, decisions...
Score
November 23, 2011 9:43:17 PM

Also, what EVGA SOC are you talking about El MataDurr?
Score

Best solution

a c 592 U Graphics card
November 23, 2011 11:20:36 PM

gameranew22 said:
wow, great answers and help yall! Thanks :)  I don't know what to do, I'm stumped...kinda. The MSI Twin Frozr III 6950 on Newegg looks great to me as well and comes with Deus Ex at 80 bucks less which is a big plus for me and I've heard it's pretty simple to unlock the shaders on that badboy.

I've heard great things about the SOC as well and the Twin Frozr III 570 is clearly the most expensive out of all of them. It's hard to say what I should do; sacrifice power but get a better deal and better game with the 6950, get the 570 and basically *** on every game that's out there in 1920X1200 but be hurtin financially a bit more or, as I see it, go the middle ground and get the SOC?

Decisions, decisions...

The MSI 6950 Twin Frozr is unable to unlock the shaders. The GTX 570 is a tier above the 6950 and is more on the level of a 6970. I recommend you go for the most possible horsepower you can afford (GTX 570), if you have seen any of the benchmarks on Battlefield 3 and Skyrim, for example. Those games need every bit of power you can throw at them.

Seriously, the AMD driver issues with new games are really unattractive at this time, in my opinion at least. For example this BF3 performance review on HardOCP:
"Throughout all of our testing it was apparent that the NVIDIA GPU based video cards were providing better performance and more enjoyable gameplay than the AMD GPU based video cards. There were no instances that we found where any AMD card provided better gameplay performance than it's NVIDIA counterpart. We also experienced an issue which we believe to be driver related with all AMD video cards. We experienced an extremely noticeable lag any time there was a large amount of debris flying around, explosions from missiles, grenades or vehicles, or buildings in the environment being destroyed. This was not present on any of the NV based GPUs."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/22/battlefield_3...

And this for Skyrim:
"AMD video cards have some performance issues in Skyrim, and we do hope that AMD can improve this with driver updates. It would be difficult to recommend an AMD video card to any gamer looking to upgrade his or her computer in order to play Skyrim. For this game at least, NVIDIA-GPU based current generation video cards is where it's at, whether you are packing a 30" monitor running at 2560x1600, a 1080p panel, or a multi-monitor gaming solution, they are simply faster."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/21/elder_scrolls...
November 24, 2011 12:14:52 AM

hahahaha....nervous laughter...well . I just bought the 6950 and read that you can unlock those shaders. Did I make a hugenormous mistake? I've found guides for unlocking the shaders as well, but I could be wrong I guess....
Score
November 24, 2011 12:31:13 AM

Just cancelled the order impulsively after I read that AMD users are having serious issues with Skyrim and Bf3 (though everyone is having issues with BF...) and it's more of a driver issue than anything I've heard and experience personally with my old 6870.

I hope newegg fully refunds my order.
Score
November 24, 2011 1:56:23 AM

gameranew22 said:
Also, what EVGA SOC are you talking about El MataDurr?

I'm referring to the (currently) $250 version that has stock OC at 900 mhz. It has a lifetime warranty. I contacted EVGA and asked them if OC-ing it would void the warranty (as it does with CPU's and other critical components). They said that as long as you stably overclock with the EVGA precision included software (where reviewers got stable clocks of ~960 mhz) the warranty is golden.
Score
November 24, 2011 8:16:08 PM

god that is so dope.... I think I'm committed to seeing if the 448 CUDA 560 Ti drops prices at all, as it should. I mean, it's 90% of a 570 for $50 less and $50 more than the current 560 TI's. If it does in fact retail for the estimated $300 that people are reporting it will/should go for, I think it'll make my decision that much easier about what to get. Only 5 more days...
Score
November 24, 2011 8:42:31 PM

Yea, im sitting back and waiting till the 29th as well. Im guessing it wont disrupt the prices, but it couldnt hurt to wait a couple days. My guess is the 448 will come in from 289.99 to 299.99 base prices. Any higher and id consider it a waste not to just get a 570. Any lower and the 560TI regular wouldnt be worth it. So yes... 289.99 to 299.99.
Score
November 24, 2011 9:41:41 PM

Quote:
289.99 to 299.99.

Yup, I've seen estimates between that and like $315 before rebates. I just hope this first batch of cards aren't busted or inadequately tested or something. Is it weird that Nvidia has said next to nothing about it? I mean they've given out specs, but usually before launches of ANY card they try and do some form of marketing or drive, ESPECIALLY when AMD doesn't have any current answers to that price/card range really that are exactly matched. Makes me think that probably they (Nvidia) are keeping quiet to see if AMD has a surprise launch or something or does their own aggressive marketing campaign. Please god, don't let this be a vanity card...

I could be totally wrong though, I've only really be following graphics cards "hardcore" for the last 4-5 months and don't remember too much about previous end year launches.
Score
December 5, 2011 2:52:03 AM

Best answer selected by Gameranew22.
Score
!