What hard drive should i pick?

dmartelli84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi, im currently browsing through cyberpower looking at a new gaming pc. I think i found what i want, but i have afew questions about it. Heres what ive picked out so far:
Gamer Scorpius 8000

Apevia X-Plorer 2 Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window and MultiMeter Display

AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

[CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card

600 Watts - XtremeGear Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

now heres the thing that i dont get about the hard drive...on default it was supposed to come with :
60 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 475MB/s Write.

That seems like an incredibly small amount of space, so i switched it to :
1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

Is that a reasonable replacement? Is that a good hard drive? Also given those stats should i spend a little extra to get a 10% overclocking? would it be able to handle it? and is it worth it?

Solution
Yes dta drive is where you would put music or pictures or other programs you don't worry about speed with.
Usually the SSD is the operating system drive and if you game the drive you put your game on. There is limited space on the smaller ones so make sure you only put on there the OS and what ever else you want running the fastest.
There are bigger drives but the cost goes up a lot the larger you get.
I use my SSD for just the OS and 2 games that I play the most. The rest goes on my other 2 mechanical drives.
Also make sure you never skimp on the power supply
Do not use the xtreme gear PSU or the Cyberpower branded ones. Any of the other name brand ones will leave you with a lot less headaches even though they cost a little more.

Cripple13

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I'm not a fan of sites like cyber power, but they are good if you don't know how to build your own pc.

The reason the hard drive it comes with is only 60 gb, is because it is a solid state drive instead of a mechanical drive (such as the one you replaced it with). They are much smaller but incredibly fast, and typically used as a boot drive for your operating system, with a couple of the most-played games installed on it if you have the room.

dmartelli84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Yea the main reason is because ive never built one and dont know nearly enough to attempt it. I have a chunk of money to spend and i want a quality comp. So about that hard drive i figured there was something about the small one considering it was nearly as much as the drive with a TB. Now if its a 60G hard drive despite being incredibly fast, it would only be able to hold 2 or 3 games right? thats why im stuck. would the mechanical drive reduce performance or hurt the computer in anyway? is it really that big of a deal?

dmartelli84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Also, i noticed there is another section for a seperate "data hard drive". is that like the drive i would store my files on and use the other one specifically for gaming? Im not really interested if the solidstate hard drive is only for load times. loading windows and load times for games is ok with me as long as game performance isnt affected. so would it be ok if i saved money by just getting the 1 TB mechanical hard drive instead of the solidstate?

galeener

Distinguished
Yes dta drive is where you would put music or pictures or other programs you don't worry about speed with.
Usually the SSD is the operating system drive and if you game the drive you put your game on. There is limited space on the smaller ones so make sure you only put on there the OS and what ever else you want running the fastest.
There are bigger drives but the cost goes up a lot the larger you get.
I use my SSD for just the OS and 2 games that I play the most. The rest goes on my other 2 mechanical drives.
Also make sure you never skimp on the power supply
Do not use the xtreme gear PSU or the Cyberpower branded ones. Any of the other name brand ones will leave you with a lot less headaches even though they cost a little more.

Solution