Alienware x51 - what are your reactions?

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
IMO Alienware has a good concept but they either need to reduce the price a little or improve the components. If they offered the entry model with a GTX 555, it would actually be a good value. (The GTX 555 has 288 cores and a 192 bit bus, it is a GTX 560 with one additional group of cores and a memory controller disabled) As it is, you can get a build from CyberPower with an i3 2100 and a GTX 550ti for $693 (including Windows 7), but the Alienware has the compactness and build quality on its side. Alienware just needs to improve the price/performance ratio and it could have a major effect on the market.

The cyberpower build (tell me if you can get it any cheaper):
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1DVPVH

To be honest I wouldn't want it any cheaper because then you will start to cut the performance even more. Is this Pc to be used for gameing ? With the 550Ti you will not be happy with the performance in gameing and you will have to be playing at low settings and resolutions.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

yeah but i look at decent build quality as a good thing.... kinda. it keeps you with current tech when a laptop is worn out after three years and half the time you can get an alienware laptop for twice the non alienware laptop with the same parts.

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Build quality is great and all, but you're forgetting the entire reason that they're overpriced. Factory overclocking and super-fantastic warranties with US based tech support.

I've owned Cyberpower, Dell XPS, Dell Alenware and HP PC's and the Dell service was far and away the best.

That said, the prices are kind of nuts if you're into building your own, but considering the warranty and service they aren't really that bad.