First time high end build 2-3k

I've been browsing and researching for a couple months now and think I'm ready to start ordering parts. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. I know I'm going high end on some components but want as much upgrade potential and overclocking room

$330 Core I7 2600k CPU
$340 Asus Maximus IV Z68 LG1155 Motherboard
$300 Thermaltake TPG 1200m Power Supply
$250 Thermaltake Level 10 GT Case
$75 8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 Ram
$1000 (2) EVGA 580TI Video Cards

What I'm not sure about is:

Hard drives. I'm going to boot from a SSD. What would be the best setup for storage? 1,2,3 internal drives? Is one large drive better than 2 or 3 smaller drives in a raid cluster?

COOLING. Besides the fans in the case should I install extra ones? What's a good CPU cooler? Anything I should be extra careful with when assembling the system?

11 answers Last reply
More about first time high build
  1. Yes, 1 HDD is better.

Since you have the budget, the Noctua NH-D14 is a very powerful CPU Cooler and is quiet.
  2. Drool....wish i had 2-3k to blow on a new rig. lol

Do you prefer Nvidia over AMD video cards? If no preferences, i suggest the 7970s but i'd understand if u don't want to.
  3. With 2k, 2 580s outperform the 7970, but he can get 2 7970s. :)
  4. yea i mean't 2 lol, hell maybe 3 :pt1cable:
  5. It's been 3 years since my last one so it's time for a new one :) What's the advantages of the AMD over Nvidia? I've only ever used Nvidia.
  6. AMD is currently the only company to have 28nm GPUs, and utilizes 3D.
  7. Well that decides that then :)
    Thanks!!
  8. I was thinking about the Gigabyte 768 ud7 motherboard but it's discontinued? has anyone used the maximus IV? Is there a better choice for a really good motherboard for expansion and overclocking?
  9. Actually its kinda the other way around from what i see. AMD doesn't have Cuda and PhysX, but if you are just building a gaming system and don't play PhysX games(like Batman Arkham City) then 7970 is better than the gtx 580.
    Nvidia also does 3D gaming. But you need 2 Nvidia Cards to run a 3 monitor setup
  10. What's everyones opinion on the additional warranties on Newegg? Is it worth it or a ripoff?
  11. oldskoolraver said:
    I've been browsing and researching for a couple months now and think I'm ready to start ordering parts. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. I know I'm going high end on some components but want as much upgrade potential and overclocking room

$330 Core I7 2600k CPU
    $340 Asus Maximus IV Z68 LG1155 Motherboard
    $300 Thermaltake TPG 1200m Power Supply
    $250 Thermaltake Level 10 GT Case
    $75 8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 Ram
    $1000 (2) EVGA 580TI Video Cards

What I'm not sure about is:

Hard drives. I'm going to boot from a SSD. What would be the best setup for storage? 1,2,3 internal drives? Is one large drive better than 2 or 3 smaller drives in a raid cluster?

COOLING. Besides the fans in the case should I install extra ones? What's a good CPU cooler? Anything I should be extra careful with when assembling the system?

what resolution are you playing at?

fill this out- http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems