[Overheating] CPU AMD PHENOM II X4

saggat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I bought this a while a go, first i had the stock cooler, which it worked pretty hot when on full load (49~54c) and turned off my pc.
3 months ago i bought corsair h80 water cooling system, which was working grat, 36c on idle and 46 on full load.
But now i dont know what's going on, sometimes after 9~10hours it starts overheating a LOT. Like if the radiator or something was off for some minutes. After 4m of my pc on almost 90c (yeah, i dont know why it dosnt turn off.. may be sensor problem?)
it goes back, and i see the airflow way hotter.
My question is, what is wrong? Everything is set up right.
thanks

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
first i had the stock cooler, which it worked pretty hot when on full load (49~54c)

Thats actually pretty normal and safe at load.

Have you Overclocked? If so how (settings etc). If you have OC'd does it go to good temps when you revert to stock? Hows your case cooling set up? and finally have you completely stripped the CPU and cooler out and then carefully reinstalled them..... I know you said you did it right but 90% of the time errors like these are user related due too tiny things being forgotten (incorectly applying paste etc etc)

saggat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

I was thinking about thermal paste, i used the one that came with the corsair h80.
I did a drawing showing my airflow. http://i.imgur.com/dkFVd.png
I dont think that is safe for a amd cpu, i heard 60c is the max.
And the CPU was once OC'd the first month, but i restored everything from the bios (and uninstalled the software) because i didnt notice any changes

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
At full load 54 was ok. 90 though definitely isn't but like you said it should be throttling itself so it maybe a dodgy sensor reading the temp wrong or the software(sysfan gives me whacky readings). Looking at your airflow picture the intake on the roof is not ideal generally top fans should exhaust intake would be better low and on the front but still that shouldn't be causing it.

First step I would take is to try and verify the temp reading check what it says in Bios or in the OS use another tool (HWmonitor). If those still confirm 90 try to touch the edges of the cooler at 90 that heat should be feelable. Finally strip it all down and reassemble using new paste.

You may want to dig around the forums I think theres a section for watercoolers who may answer this alot better than me

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
What Phenom II X4 CPU model do you have?
What mobo are you using?
What case are you using and how many fans?

You'll see in my sig that I have a PII X4 and under normal load it gets to 29 degrees and at full load maxes out about 38 degrees (depending on what time of the year). So something isn't quite right (stating the obvious...lol). Did you ensure you applied the thermal paste correctly. If you get spaces or bubbles in it between the cpu and heatsink temps will rise fairly quickly.

**After 4m of my pc on almost 90c **

Where is this reading coming from Hwm monitor/coretemp/speedfan?
also what is the sensor name? if its auxtin or sys_2 it may just be an anomaly, one of my sensors reads at 128'c most times, and theres not a hope in hell anything in my rig is that hot,
62'c is the guideline 'Max' on Amd chips, although tjmax reads as 70 on most,
ambient temps need to be considered as well, whats the room temp?
Moto

saggat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

I checked on HWMONITOR and SpeedFan. Same results.
And i know that it is a problem cause the fps decrease.
Room temp 22c
@maui67 Phenom II X4 BE 955 Everything was set up right.

saggat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
If someone can help me with this ,please do, im bumping this thread cause i mfreaking scared of my processor. Now its happening on idle too. I think the problem is idneed the corsair H80 watercooler, or the thermal paste (but i dont think so cause i used the one that came with the water cooler!)

dannoddd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Make sure that you've got the pump lead from the cold plate attached to the CPU fan header, and that in the bios it's not set on some sort of fan curve or "silent". That setting should be set to an all out setting.

Next make sure that the cold plate is still attached firmly to the CPU.

Verify the fans on the heatsink are spinning.

(On another note turn the fan on the top so that it exhausts out the roof of the chassis. You're fighting the fact that heat rises, using that as an intake).

saggat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

I checked everything and the only thing im thinking is that the water cooler randomly shuts down. The cpu pump is attached to the fand header just right, and i got the fan controller everything at 100%.
Everything spins right, im getting a new thermal paste tomorrow, since i opened the cooler to check if it was ok (it had a very tiny bit of thermal paste.)

dannoddd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
If the water cooler randomly shuts down you've got a bad one and that's what's causing your overheating. They don't work like a tower, where it'll dissipate even when not spinning a fan, if the pump and fans aren't moving, nothing is happening and you might as well not have any sort of heat sink on.

Send it back to the manufacturer for a repair and get anything else in there for the time being.

saggat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

Yeah, i will try that tomorrow to see what they say. Hopefully, they wont refuse. But i should try the water cooler somehere else bu just connecting it to the cpu header

saggat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

Bad news, yesterday i was bitcoin mining (without the processor) after playing some BF3. For some reasonm after a while my computer shut down. I didnt know why since i was watching tv, i did go back to see what was going on, and turned the pc on again and started mining. Today i woke up and i found the pc, again, off.
I turned off Q-Fan in the BIOS, as i saw in some threads that it may fk my pc up. I am also using a fan controller, i dont know if that is relevant.
The coller seems t be working fine now, but i honestly dont know why my pc keeps shuting down, im pretty sure its because of my CPU teamps. I re-applied new thermal paste, and that didnt solved anything.
I will probably need to contact with someone in Corsair for a warranty..

saggat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I got what's happening : the fan cooler goes crazy, the framerates descend, the rmp shows (while strssiong a lot) 300 (??) to 6500(?) which is crazy.. so its not working right