Sign in with
Your question

Monitor is not getting any signal

Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2012 12:36:21 AM

Hello,

I recently bought a new computer and when I power it up there is no signal going to the monitor. I've tried both HDMI and VGA, and I've also tried 2 different monitors and a TV. The two monitors I tried were dell and they were not showing the self-test which usually means that it is getting power but it is just asleep. The TVs showed a "No Signal" message. I tried on a Sony and a Vizio, both using HDMI. There are several LED lights inside the computer and when I have HDMI plugged in, even if there is no power, it will light up, so I think it's properly plugged in.

Here's some info on the PC:
AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz (Quad Core) 45nm, AM3 2MB Cache
Spire Kestrel-King II AMD 64 fan
ASRock M3A770DE, AMD 770, Cross Fire, GB LAN
4GB (2x2GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Dual Channel
ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB PCI Express 16x dual head, HDMI
Logisys Black ATX Case w/side window & front USB
Logisys 550W ATX Power, Supply SLI & X-fire ready

Full listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gaming-Desktop-PC-AMD-Athlon-II...

I contacted the company but they are closed so I'm just trying to get some info if I can before Monday when they open again.

Any suggestions? I don't want to open the case unless I HAVE to since it'll void the warranty.

P.S: There is no VGA on the mobo which I thought, but I guess most don't anymore (it's been ages since I've had a desktop).

There is also no OS on it which means that I'll somehow have to get mine on there, I have Windows 7 on USB but how can I install it if there is no display? Shouldn't there at least be some change in the monitor/TV when starting it up?

More about : monitor signal

a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 1:55:30 AM

Aeternaly said:
Hello,

I recently bought a new computer and when I power it up there is no signal going to the monitor. I've tried both HDMI and VGA, and I've also tried 2 different monitors and a TV. The two monitors I tried were dell and they were not showing the self-test which usually means that it is getting power but it is just asleep. The TVs showed a "No Signal" message. I tried on a Sony and a Vizio, both using HDMI. There are several LED lights inside the computer and when I have HDMI plugged in, even if there is no power, it will light up, so I think it's properly plugged in.

Here's some info on the PC:
AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz (Quad Core) 45nm, AM3 2MB Cache
Spire Kestrel-King II AMD 64 fan
ASRock M3A770DE, AMD 770, Cross Fire, GB LAN
4GB (2x2GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Dual Channel
ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB PCI Express 16x dual head, HDMI
Logisys Black ATX Case w/side window & front USB
Logisys 550W ATX Power, Supply SLI & X-fire ready

I contacted the company but they are closed so I'm just trying to get some info if I can before Monday when they open again.

Any suggestions? I don't want to open the case unless I HAVE to since it'll void the warranty.

P.S: There is no VGA on the mobo which I thought, but I guess most don't anymore (it's been ages since I've had a desktop).

There is also no OS on it which means that I'll somehow have to get mine on there, I have Windows 7 on USB but how can I install it if there is no display? Shouldn't there at least be some change in the monitor/TV when starting it up?

If you won't open the computer, there's not much trouble shooting that can be done. It could be something as simple as the graphics card not seated properly in its slot. Or the PCIe power cable not plugged in to the card. Or a bad card. Or a bad motherboard. Best wait for the company rep if you're afraid of voiding the warranty.
m
l
January 22, 2012 2:02:19 AM

I opened it up and the card is properly seated in its slot. Since the HDD is new could it mean that there is no BIOS so nothing needs to be displayed? If so how can I install Windows onto it from USB without a display?
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 2:05:33 AM

The BIOS isn't on the HDD. It's on a chip on the motherboard. Yes, you need a display to install an OS.
m
l
January 22, 2012 2:11:37 AM

Any suggestions? The card is firmly in place, I removed RAM and the computer beeped (Which means it's good from what I read), but nothing displays.
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 2:14:48 AM

Does the HD 5770 have the PCIe cable connected to it? If all else fails, try removeing and reseating the card.
m
l
January 22, 2012 2:17:30 AM

There is no cable, it is attached to the motherboard as seen in this picture (hopefully):
http://puu.sh/eavS
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 2:26:03 AM

It doesn't appear to be an HD 5770 as you stated. It appears to be a much less powerful card. But I can't tell for sure from the pic. A 5770 has a 6-pin connector on the back end of the card. Does yours?
m
l
January 22, 2012 2:33:49 AM

It is a 5570

An XFX ATI Radeon HD 5570
m
l
January 22, 2012 2:44:57 AM

I tried to take the card out but it doesn't want to come out, I pressed it back in and tried and nothing seemed to happen.

Sorry for the double post..thought I was editing
m
l
January 22, 2012 2:54:05 AM

Was the computer shipped to you or did you pick it up at the store?

Right now I want to blame your PSU.
m
l
January 22, 2012 3:00:15 AM

It was shipped to me. Their listing said that if there were problems then they'd address it, I'd HOPE they'd be able to determine a PSU being too low powered.

I added the link where I purchased the item.
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 3:04:48 AM

Aeternaly said:
It is a 5570

An XFX ATI Radeon HD 5570

If it really is an HD 5770, it will have a 6 pin connector that needs a PCIe power cable connected to it before it will work.
m
l
January 22, 2012 3:11:45 AM

OK but it's not a 5770 it's a 5570.

That's exactly how it looks but it looks like this from the back: http://puu.sh/eavV
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 3:16:33 AM

OK. I had it in my head it was a 5770. :pt1cable:  No external cable required for your 5570. As far as removing a graphics card, you need to push/pull a little lever at the back of the card slot to free it.
m
l
January 22, 2012 3:19:09 AM

I did that but the front far side wasn't budging, I pushed and pulled it out though so that should put it back in place. If it's in place what else could it be? The system was tested before being shipped so it should be working.
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 3:25:06 AM

There should be no reason the card doesn't come out if the release latch is freed. Once the screw(s) at the expansion slot is removed, there's nothing holding it in the slot but the tension of the contact fingers. If it won't pull out by rocking it a bit to and fro, that may be an indication of something wrong.

When you turn on the system, do you notice the CPU's heat sync fan spinning?

How are you connected from card to monitor?
m
l
January 22, 2012 3:27:42 AM

I can't tell if it's spinning honestly. I put my hand under it and feel air but there are 2 other fans that could be getting air to there. I've tried both my HDMI and VGA, both of which work fine with my laptop.
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 3:37:01 AM

You can't tell if the fan is spinning? If you see the blades standing still it's not spinning. If the blades are a blur, it's spinning. The point I was getting at, was to see if the fan may have quit. That would shut down the processor to keep it from overheating and the result would be no output.

Are you using an HDMI cable from card to monitor now? HDMI at both ends?
m
l
January 22, 2012 3:40:07 AM

Yes I'm using HDMI at both ends. The fan is extremely hard to see because of the heat sink but it is spinning. I tried VGA as well and nothing.

I took my HDD out just to be safe and nothing else.
m
l
!