Windows 7 Pro, 64bit
Motherboard: MSI P67A-G43 (MS-7673)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 @3.30GHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 570, 1280mb
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4) DDR3 @1600MHz
PSU: Corsair TX750
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 6gb/s 7200RPM
(Let me know if you need more info)

So after about a half hour of gaming (Crysis 2, BF3 on completely maxed settings) the system completely shuts off with no warning. Similar to just switching off the power supply.

It doesn't seem to be heat related, as CPU load temps never go past 53C and GPU never gets past 60C. Processor idles at about 31-35 and graphics card at about the same.

(I have the latest GPU drivers)

SOLVED: Too many things plugged into a rather cheap power strip, not enough power for the PC while gaming.
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2012 1:13:01 AM

What is your current PSU?

Right click on computer, settings, advanced system settings, startup and recovery, settings, turn off automatic restart if it is checked.

Also, even if the heat numbers seem low, it would be nice if you could take the side of the case off and point some sort of serious fan at it if you have one, like a regular AC oscillating fan.
m
l
January 22, 2012 1:20:45 AM

Raiddinn said:
What is your current PSU?

Right click on computer, settings, advanced system settings, startup and recovery, settings, turn off automatic restart if it is checked.

Also, even if the heat numbers seem low, it would be nice if you could take the side of the case off and point some sort of serious fan at it if you have one, like a regular AC oscillating fan.

I updated the OP. Completely forgot to add the PSU in! It's a Corsair Enthusiast TX750. And what would using one of those fans show me? Would I then test the games again to see if the shutdown happens?

Also, I recently unchecked the automatic restart but haven't played a game since then. Would that stop the power off?
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2012 1:40:41 AM

Yes it will potentially change your automatic restarts into BSODs with information about what caused it.

The fan would show you if airflow had anything to do with it.
m
l
January 22, 2012 1:44:37 AM

Raiddinn said:
Yes it will potentially change your automatic restarts into BSODs with information about what caused it.

The fan would show you if airflow had anything to do with it.

I'll test the automatic restart thing and get back to you. The fan will most likely have to wait until tomorrow, I'll have to look for it in the basement.
m
l
January 22, 2012 2:24:32 AM

Hmm, hasn't happened yet. It may be a fluke. I'll continue playing until it happens again though.

edit: It just happened once more. No BSOD. Instant power-off and seemingly normal boot up after about a minute without power.
m
l
January 22, 2012 3:34:26 AM

try msi afterburner for fan control. I had very same issue, although my gpu temp was through the roof (doesn't seem like the case with you), after i started using afterburner it kept correct enough temp to keep playing without problem. Also maybe check in bios if you have some kind of automated shut of if cpu reaches certain temp.
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:38:12 PM

I finally solved my problem, and it ended up being an extremely easy fix that made me feel stupid.

I had 6 components plugged into one rather cheap power strip, and it turned out that my PC wasn't getting enough power to support gameplay. Since I separated things to different power outlets on the wall, my problem hasn't occurred again.
m
l
!