Micccx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Approximate Purchase Date: by the end of February

Budget Range: roughly around $1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing the internet, Watching movies

Parts Not Required: Keyboard (Logitech K300), Mouse (Razer DeathAdder 3500 dpi high precision), Speakers(Klipsch Pro Media 2.1), Monitor (Acer 22inch P223w glossy white), Graphics Card (1 x HD 6950 2GB, unlockable to HD 6970), CD/DVD Drive (Combo Drive)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Xoxide.com, Amazon.com, FrozenCPU.com :)

Parts Preferences: I would like to use:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

Rosewill LIGHTNING Series LIGHTNING-800 800W Continuous @50°C,80 PLUS GOLD Certified,Pipe-rock Modular Design,Single +12V Rail,ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.92,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active- PFC ,Fan LED color switch Power Supply

Overclocking: Yes, 4.5 Ghz ~ 5 Ghz :D

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: I want to build my 2nd water cooling system, a bit more advanced in this pc with all of these internal parts, approximately $400 of the total $1200 budget (also considered corsair H60, but would much rather build something much more nice):

Reservoir in single drive bay (preferably not a dual bay reservoir, as I am not planning on doing a dual loop)

Graphics card block to fit my HD 6950

Cpu block

Pump

Radiator (2 x 120mm fans)

Red/Clear 1/2 inch tubing with Clear/Red Coolant respectively (approximately 10 ft)

Also I am lost on choosing a motherboard here, I really had my mind set on this motherboard, as I have always loved EVGA motherboards, but I realized it was socket LGA 1366, EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

Though I have read that it would be better to stick with i5-2500k quad core build mainly for the 32nm technology.

Still needed that I haven't decided on are: Hard Drive (prices went insanely high might wait and re-use Hard Drives) I have: 1 x 500GB Caviar Black 7200 RPM and 1 x 150GB Velocirpator 10000 RPM, Motherboard Socket 1155 (prefer red/black color scheme if possible), Water Cooling parts listed above, Operating System (Windows 7 Home Premium) (I have a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, but it is an OEM version and I believe once installed it's tied to the motherboard and I can't install it on a new one so I might need a new copy :??: ),

Any tips/advice on this System Build would be greatly appreciated, Thank you so much! :)

Micccx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Could be getting it in mid February, that is just the date that I know for sure I will have it by.

I just need a compatible 1155 motherboard that takes 1600 mhz ddr3 ram and has and can't seem to find one that has good reviews, any recommendations? (black/red color preffered if possible) (cost around $125 - $225) :??:

I found out I will need to buy a new copy of OEM Windows 7 for my new PC :(

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.
The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.

Micccx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Alright so I found this on the same forum a little further down , I might be able to re-use my OEM Windows 7 after all, I will have to give it a try:

Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat
Hmmmm - interesting. At first glance, that completely contradicts what MS told me a while back. Then, I had another look. Notice the term end user - you would tend to think that a person who buys an OEM disc/license would be considered an end user, but I am thinking that end user applies to the person who buys the computer. ie - you buy and install an OEM license and keep the computer, and you are not conisdered an end user, whereas you buy an OEM license, build and sell the computer - the person who buys that computer is the end user. Not 100% sure about that, but that is what it appears to be.

In any event, I just called MS again. And I was told that you are in fact allowed to upgrade the MB and keep the same license. The rep did tell me that people who do that sometimes have problems registering the OS after the reinstall, but all it takes is a call to the MS sales dept, and they can help you out. I am quoting the rep here.

800-426-9400

Say 'personal' and then 'pre-sales'

Cheers.