Bottleneck Help!

G

Motherboard: GA-MA770T-UD3
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635 Processor OC'd to 3.0Ghz (from 2.9GHz)
GPU: Radeon HD 6950 2GB
RAM: 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Series

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor 7.3
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 7.3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 7.9
Gaming graphics 3838 MB Total available graphics memory 7.9
Primary hard disk 323GB Free (932GB Total) 5.9

Now I get about 50fps in a Heroic in World of Warcraft, and I get 60fps on Ultra in BF3. I know WoW is CPU intensive, so I'm just wondering if my 635 Quad core is really that bad? Can I get more fps if I upgrade?

G

I can't OC much without it crashing. Even if I OC to like 3.2 I will get a crash. It sucks because I can run LinX for an hour, which is supposed to be able to tell if your CPU is successfully OC'd and is stable, and while 3.2 was stable, it crashed during BF3.

G

LinX.png

I'm not too smart when it comes to all this stuff, but I'm assuming the memory option is for testing how many GB you want to test.

I've been running at 3.1GHz for about 2 hours now, only playing WoW though.

G

25fps in Orgrimmar at 3.1GHz

23-24fps in Orgrimmar at 2.9GHz

It is quite a wide range, but if you moved to a 2500k, the current gold standard, you would be looking at a gaming improvement from the processor's perspective of 5 - 90% approx with potential for OCing beyond that range.

Moving to the 2500k would run you about 220 for the processor, 125 for the board, and another 40 for the ram, give or take.

Is it worth $400ish for you to approx double your FPS in WOW?

You could get a better Phenom 2 for maybe $120 - $150 but the possible improvement with these processors is much less than with the 2500k.

What sort of budget do you have dedicated to getting the higher FPS?

- Edit - If you were to get a Phenom 2 955 for ~125, you could expect no more than +50% FPS.

G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103995

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103923

Those are something I would upgrade too. Even 150$ is pushing my budget. I don't like upgrading so often and I just spent 100$ on my NZXT Phantom 410 case.

G

I just want a decent CPU and PC that will keep me going for a while.

I think my GPU will last, but as for my other parts, they are a year old and I already want more. I really don't want to upgrade so much to the point where I spend more than a Mac.

does what you're doing spit and sputter ? or did you put that new graphics card on expecting more FPS ? The only real upgrade would be the one suggested above. 2500k/board/memory. Anything else would be a total waste of money at this point and time. that's where the only "real" increase in performance will come from. Save your pennies. You'll be glad you did after you make that significant upgrade. After that you can move to 64bit windows7.

G

Well that's asking me to buy most of a computer again. This is really unfortunate. I don't know if I can afford Intel parts. I already run 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate as well.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

you want a decent cpu but arent willing to pay for it. thats a problem. to get what you want you really need to upgrade to a sandy bridge to get the max out of that 6950.

agreed

G

Well I guess that's it then. Telling me to buy an Intel though....I would have to drop quite a lot on that. I just figured that a 2.9 quad core was a good CPU, but if I have to buy an i5 to play games better, maybe I have to.

Currently have my old 5770 on eBay to try and raise the money to pay for these parts.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

dont get use wrong a phenom x4 will play most games well but its not going to get the max amount of fps the gpu could get.

if you were to buy an amd upgrade you would be in the same situation a year from now that you are now. the intel system would last 3 years

G

I am not good when it comes to reading and applying things of that sort. I didn't even know I would have to lower my memory speeds to OC.

G

If that CPU isn't high end, what AMD CPU equivalent could I get to match the performance?

G

I see. Well, I better start saving. No way do I have that kind of money. :/

cbrunnem

Distinguished

good decision and maybe buy the time you have the money you could get an ivy bridge cpu. they will be about the same price but about 10 percent faster in some apps and a z68 mobo will support them.