Request timed out ONLY in games

salruoth

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hi everyone, not sure if anybody can help me with this but I've gotten desperate after nearly two months of trying to resolve it.

I recently installed a new video card into my relatively shitty system. Well, perhaps not shitty, but it's an older system.

Exactly when these issues started, I had gotten a new video card from a co-worker of mine and, though I intend to upgrade down the line but never really got to it, I put it in and everything ran fine.

The only problem? Every time, and I mean EVERY time, without fail my internet would time out and I would face periodic lagspikes (sometimes it would be every 10 minutes, others 5 minutes). Less 'intensive' games seemed to make this less significant, but nonetheless would impact me.

It's gotten the point where I can't do anything about it because I can't seem to find anything uniquely related to that. If I'm not in a game, I have no issues whatsoever. But when I start playing a game - offline or online - I get the problem.

Any ideas would be great to know. For the record, using my older video card gave me little issues.

Currently, the video card is an ATI Radeon 5770, older one was a 3850 or something (I'd have to go digging to find it again, haha).

festerovic

Distinguished
Did this lag happen only after you put in the new card? Or was there any new hardware like routers, cable modem, wifi card, etc. added near or at the same time?

I would try a new adapter to troubleshoot, maybe look into a usb one and not a pci/pci-e.

salruoth

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Never had the issue prior to installing the new video card. Issue only started up after the fact. Thought it was because my bios, being older, needed updating (since I as originally getting an boot failure warning) but I resolved that after upgrading it (there was a problem with the motherboard recognizing the particularly series of cards, and a few other series). But it didn't resolve the ping issues.

Some games it isn't bad. I notice the more intensive a game is, the more often it can occur. I cannot say that with absolute certainty, however, because there are times when the issue is entirely nonexistent. And I can go games without having the error once, other times, no luck.

As for the PSU, I had thought so (and others I knew) myself, but I replaced my PSU (twice, actually, long story, nothing related) and I know this particular video card (ati radeon 5770) is a huge PSU draw, at least not enough to make my current PSU (which I think is 600W, but I can't remember and I don't want to fetch around for the box <_<). Then again, I could be wrong on that.

This issue persisted regardless of my PSU, too. I used to have a 375W Antec, then a 450W and there was no real issue. I didn't really try it with the 375W though.