Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is there a way to force Windows XP to redetect all hardwar..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 7:04:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hello!

I know I can do a repair installation to make Windows XP redetect the
hardware setup (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm).
I have done this a few times in the past. However, this method requires
reinstallations of drivers (e.g., same sound card), service packs,
updates, redoing stuff I removed from XP's installation, reconfiguration
in some parts of XP, etc.

Is there another way to do this? IIRC in Windows 98, I could remove
everything from Device Manager in safe mode, reboot, and let Windows
redetect everything. Does this work for XP?

Thank you in advance. :) 
--
Phillip Pi
phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
Software Quality Assurance Analyst
Norton SystemWorks (PC)
Symantec

Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer.
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 10:11:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

This sounds interesting. Please let us know if it works. Sounds like
windows should re-detect the devices.


Phillip Pi wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I know I can do a repair installation to make Windows XP redetect the
> hardware setup (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm).
> I have done this a few times in the past. However, this method requires
> reinstallations of drivers (e.g., same sound card), service packs,
> updates, redoing stuff I removed from XP's installation, reconfiguration
> in some parts of XP, etc.
>
> Is there another way to do this? IIRC in Windows 98, I could remove
> everything from Device Manager in safe mode, reboot, and let Windows
> redetect everything. Does this work for XP?
>
> Thank you in advance. :) 
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 12:13:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi,

Yes deleting the device from Device Manager will cause windows xp to reboot
and on reboot if it is a plug and play device then it will be detected and
prompt you to complete the installation.

If u find that the hardware is not detected you can insert the driver cd and
then perform the setup to install the drivers manually.

Regards
M. Rajesh
..Net and Windows Shell MVP
www.winxpsolution.com.

"Phillip Pi" wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I know I can do a repair installation to make Windows XP redetect the
> hardware setup (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm).
> I have done this a few times in the past. However, this method requires
> reinstallations of drivers (e.g., same sound card), service packs,
> updates, redoing stuff I removed from XP's installation, reconfiguration
> in some parts of XP, etc.
>
> Is there another way to do this? IIRC in Windows 98, I could remove
> everything from Device Manager in safe mode, reboot, and let Windows
> redetect everything. Does this work for XP?
>
> Thank you in advance. :) 
> --
> Phillip Pi
> phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
> Software Quality Assurance Analyst
> Norton SystemWorks (PC)
> Symantec
>
> Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
> expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
> views of my employer.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 3:32:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Thanks. I wonder why people suggest using repair installation in the
first place where this one is a lot easier and quicker to do!


On 9/14/2004 8:13 AM PT, M. Rajesh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes deleting the device from Device Manager will cause windows xp to reboot
> and on reboot if it is a plug and play device then it will be detected and
> prompt you to complete the installation.
>
> If u find that the hardware is not detected you can insert the driver cd and
> then perform the setup to install the drivers manually.
>

> "Phillip Pi" wrote:
>
>
>>Hello!
>>
>>I know I can do a repair installation to make Windows XP redetect the
>>hardware setup (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm).
>>I have done this a few times in the past. However, this method requires
>>reinstallations of drivers (e.g., same sound card), service packs,
>>updates, redoing stuff I removed from XP's installation, reconfiguration
>>in some parts of XP, etc.
>>
>>Is there another way to do this? IIRC in Windows 98, I could remove
>>everything from Device Manager in safe mode, reboot, and let Windows
>>redetect everything. Does this work for XP?
>>
>>Thank you in advance. :) 
--
Phillip Pi
phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
Software Quality Assurance Analyst
Norton SystemWorks (PC)
Symantec

Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer.
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 2:22:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Phillip Pi wrote on 14-Sep-2004 11:32 AM:

> Thanks. I wonder why people suggest using repair installation in the
> first place where this one is a lot easier and quicker to do!
>
>
> On 9/14/2004 8:13 AM PT, M. Rajesh wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes deleting the device from Device Manager will cause windows xp to
>> reboot and on reboot if it is a plug and play device then it will be
>> detected and prompt you to complete the installation.
>>
Are you saying it worked? Please let us know. There are a lot more
devices than sound cards and hard drives that XP needs to know about, in
particular the hardware abstraction layer (hal.dll). It ain't all plug
and play.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
!