Computer problem diagnostics

Zeljko96

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
This is my third build and all my other builds were successful. I built a new computer and when i tried to boot it for the first time I got following: first the boot screen didn't appear, second the beeper didn't make any sound. The led lights are not working, but all of the fans (CPU, GPU and two system fans) are spinning.
I tried removing graphics card and using integrated graphics and removing memory modules but the beeper still didn't make any sound.
Then I removed additional fans (left only CPU fan) and it still couldn't boot up.
Is my motherboard dead or is it my CPU? (The two components in question are AMD FX-4100 processor and MSI 760GM P23 FX motherboard.) Can it be something else? What can happen if the CPU is not supported, 'cause I think this motherboard has older BIOS (on motherboard there is following text "7641 version 3.0")?

You can check craigslist locally for a used am3 cpu to flash the bios. Your board chipset is older, so this is the most likely solution. If you are fortunate enough to have a local computer shop, they might be able to do this for you. I use a sempron 140, which is ideal for this.

Looking at the product webpages I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be able to handle a FX processor straight out of the box. It shouldn't need a BIOS update in order to make it work.

It would be nice if you could test that before you do anything drastic, though. If you can buy an old processor for cheap or borrow a compatible older one it might be a good idea to do so.

What are the full system specs?

Most new PC problems are because of RAM and PSUs in my experience.

Zeljko96

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Full specs:
AMD FX-4100 with stock cooler
Sapphire HD Radeon 6850
WD Caviar Black 1gb HDD
2x 4gb Patriot DDR3 1333mhz RAM
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
and LC Power case with some under the average PSU of the same manufacturer (planning to change it as soon as I obtain some money (any recommendations?)).

It could be that your PSU just can't give out enough juice to handle the FX and the 6850.

There may be nothing wrong with the other parts at all.

Try taking out the video card and just plugging your monitor into the onboard graphics port instead. That would help determine if the above is true.

Zeljko96

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Some chieftech nitro, not sure about exact model but it has 550W or something.
I found cheap am3 processor and flashed BIOS, I am waiting for new power supply that should be delivered later today. Will post results when I try it.

Villemus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I'm also having this same problem with the same motherboard and cpu. My more computer savvy friend and I are working on it, so I'll post anything progressive on here if you've not got it working and we do

Zeljko96

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
It works now, flashing the BIOS worked. I also put better thermal grease on stock cooler and the highest temperature I got so far is 48 celsius while playing crysis 2 on highest settings possible. I can tell that this CPU is great and that better one is not needed at this time. It fulfilled my expectations so far.

Villemus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

How were you able to flash the bios without being able to get to the startup screen?