Refresh rate problem???

mmarasco

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Hi everyone!

Problem...
Since day one I have been having difficulties with my new computer, specs are as follows:

CPU 2600k (O/C 4.5ghz)
2 x GTX 580 Superoverclock edition
12 gb ram
Corsair 1050HX
G1.Sniper2 motherboard

I'm hoping to get some clarification regarding Vysnc. If I disable Vysnc then I experience constant stuttering liken to that of frame skipping. I am able to get 80+ FPS with maxed out settings for games but without Vysnc it'll stutter. With Vysnc enabled however, the FPS is locked at 60fps and the game runs 'smoothly', eliminating all signs of stuttering.

I am curious to know if my monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 2233sw: http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/pc-peripherals/monitor/archive/LS22CMZKFV/XY/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification) is actually the problem in this matter. Has anyone ever experienced or heard of the problem of having Vysnc disabled and thus causing what appears to be stuttering / FPS lag across all games because the monitor is unable to display properly? If so, a monitor upgrade would fix this matter, such as a 120hz monitor as opposed to a 60hz?

In my experience and from what I've read, disabling Vysnc in most matters actually makes smoother gameplay because of the higher FPS, but in my situation I experience very little smoothness as opposed to having Vysnc on. Please note, it's not screen tearing, it just appears much more choppy to the extent of stuttering and frame skipping.

Cheers everyone! To note; I do have the latest drivers, disabled HT and all that good stuff :)

THANKS!!!

mmarasco

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

I know its dropping frames, but I've never seen anywhere that when Vynsc is disabled it actually causes 'stuttering' across all games.

As it is dropping frames, does this give the effect of 'lag' or 'stutter' whenever I 'mouselook' in game?

PrvtChurch

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
It can cause stuttering if you try running at frame rates that are not even factors of your native refresh rate. so on a 60Hz monitor you will get smooth video at 30Fps 60Fps and 120Fps b/c it can consistently drop frames (at 120 it drops every other frame) or interpolate them (at 30 it would display every frame twice).
one of the big draws of 120Hz TV's is that you can get smoother video than on a 60Hz tv b/c it can better scale the 24FPS signal to 120 than to 60.

mmarasco

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Thank you so much for your help, just hoping to clarify one more thing and I'll select you definately as the best answer and close this sucker down: frames from 90-100FPS on a 60HZ monitor, can that cause stuttering across all games I am playing. You said above that it can handle upto 120FPS because it can drop frames fast enough. My problem is that I am getting this annoying stutter and somewhat 'frame skipping' without vynsc on.

For example
Battlefield 3 / Witcher 2 / Metro 2033 / Just cause 2

I am able to maintain 80-100 FPS, but without Vysnc it stutters and overall smoothness is drastically lower in comparison to Vysnc enabled.

Cheers!!!

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
nah that shouldn't matter at all really... what you should check into is see if the game is using mouse "smoothing" it can cause jittery movements because the software is trying to auto correct what it thinks you're doing with your mouse...

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
the screen is only going to display what frame the video card is sending to it at the moment... the screen and the card do not "drop" frames per say it's just that the screen doesn't refresh with the new data... this stutter is more than likely related to your dual card setup.... look up micro stuttering SLI on google... you will get lots of info on it

http://www.overclockers.com/micro-stutter-the-dark-secret-of-sli-and-crossfire/

mmarasco

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Thank you for your replies!

Originally I always thought it was microstutter. It has occured for me in the past; however strangley enough...when I disable one of the cards and set it to single gpu; without Vysnc there is still stuttering despite high framerates. I enable Vysnc and it returns to being silky smooth.

God I'm hoping this isn't a defect in the GPU's...:(

mmarasco

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
If i were to do nothing but look straight its fine. But whenever I 'mouse look' or run around with my keyboard; it becomes noticeable. I just did some testing before with just cause 2; Enabled vysnc = very smooth at 59-60. Disabled, 80-100 FPS and wasnt as smooth; somewhat jerky when you look around the scenery.

I tested this with SLI disabled.

Cheers!

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I'm thinking it's mouse smoothness settings... basically some games will measure mouse movements and even them out to create a "smoother" experience... unfortunately sometimes this causes problems and creates a stutter... skyrim for instance is known to do this... it may also be listed as "acceleration"

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28885742/mouse-acceleration-and-mouse-smoothing <-- refers specifically to just cause

mmarasco

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Hello again!

I've done some rigorous testing with the GPU's and read up on a TONNE of stuff regarding FPS, vsync, refresh rates etc...

Mouse smoothness was a concern for me but having tested multiple games and adjusted my own mouse settings, I can safely say its not the culprit in this matter.

Whether I am in Single or dual GPU mode; there is stuttering, or whatsome have noted that the frames produced are being sent at varying and unequal times thus it's 'choppy' gameplay appearance. I was concerned that my main GPU was being naughty but alas, I switched and tested each and they both produce the same problem with vsync turned off.

I'm hoping to clear up some things; is having vysnc disabled across all games and seeing 'choppy' performance despite high frames normal with a 60hz monitor in some cases? Vsync enabled definately fixes all 'choppiness' but I am trying desperately to find out that no hardware is at fault; RAM testing is up next.

And finally, with a 120hz monitor; if my computer produced 80-120 FPS with vysnc enabled, would this be a problem? Would there be any 'choppiness'?

Thanks!