Skyrim graphics card for older intel motherboard (DG33FB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mode_Locrian

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Hi all,

I am interested in upgrading my graphics card for Skyrim. I am looking for recommendations as to what I could get that would make a significant performance difference over what I already have, and that would work with my other existing components, in particular my motherboard. Here is my system:

Motherboard: Intel DG33FB
Processor: Core2Duo (3.0Ghz, I believe)
RAM: 8GB
PSU: Antec Tru Power 650W
Video: Radeon HD 4850 512MB

I would like to run at 1920x1200 resolution with at least medium-to-high detail. Budget isn't really an issue as I'm sure that any of the more expensive graphics cards would be wasted in this system anyway.

The sticking points, I believe, are these. First, I am pretty sure that my motherboard has only a PCIe x16 1.0 socket. So the reduced bandwidth/compatibility could be a consideration? Second, my CPU is definitely on the underpowered side, but I can't upgrade that right now. So I guess I want a graphics card powerful enough to ensure that my performance in Skyrim is CPU limited.

I was thinking maybe an HD 6850, but I don't know whether that would be compatible with my board, and I also don't know whether it might be more powerful than would really be helpful, given the rest of my build.

Thanks for your help.

EVGA 02G-P3-1559-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $169.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130652

You could get this card and as it will give you the performance boost you want and work well with your cpu. You didnt list any games that you are playing and the newer ones out now have a wide variety of requirements . Your cpu (if you are correct) has a good speed (3.0ghz ?) and it will take a decent video card to bottleneck it , and I'm sure the high end cards will. If you are playing Skyrim then with this card you will get around 50fps on medium to high settings.

Mode_Locrian

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Thanks for the reply. The only other games that I intend to play are Fallout III, Starcraft II, and Diablo III when it comes out. Skyrim is probably the most graphics-intensive of those, I would think.

Anyway, will that card work in a PCIe 1.0 x16 slot? I've read a variety of forum posts asking the same sort of question, and the answer seems to be that it will, but I am still a bit confused. The only difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 spec is the amount of bandwidth, right? And that won't make a significant difference if I'm not running this in an SLI setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.