I want to hook up a third monitor...

amousecaledmicky

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Currently have the AMD 6950 (bios flashed to 6970) on a MSI P67A-GD65

I am using both DVI outs for each of the two monitors I have now. I'd like to extend my desktop to a third monitor. I've seen cables that split one dvi cable into two. Will this just clone the display, or can I have this set to extend desktop as well? What is that cable called?

If i have to get a third video card, which will be compatible? Any of the 6xxx family? or only 69xx? I don't plan on crossfiring as the they run in 8x each which I believe makes it not very efficient?

Other items of note
Windows 7 64bit Home Edition
8gb 1333 ram
Intel I7 2600k

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Actually you need a active adapter, which will take your mini hdmi and make it a dvi- since AMD requires this port to be used if you wish you use 3 monitors. You could get a splitter but your talking about a much more complicated solution and expensive.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
if you plan on gaming across the 3 monitors then you need to use the display port out on the card. if you dont have displayport on one of your monitors then you need an active displayport adaptor. they are on newegg for $25 or so. i have the sapphire one which has one bug. once every couple of hours the display loses signal for a second. i can tolerate it but maybe another brand doesnt have the problem.