GPU / motherboard compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdm_239

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I have a 7 year old system with an ABIT AV8 motherboard. It's been running Windows XP since I built it.

Lately I got the idea to try to install Windows 7 64 bit, but my ATI video card didn't like that. I kept getting a BSOD with "ATIKMDAG.SYS" in the message so I decided to purchase a new video card with an Nvidia chipset. I bought this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125368 because my MB has an AGP slot, but the performance is not too great.

I'm thinking of RMAing this one in favor of something a little better, but there aren't too many GPUs with AGP interfaces.

Bottom line, will my MB support a GPU with a PCI express 2.0 x 16 interface? I think it will, but I'd appreciate hearing from the experts. ;)

Thanks in advance

pdm_239

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks....I ended up putting my original GPU back in because it's better than the one I just bought and so far it's working fine :: me knocking wood ::

The thing is, I never would have purchased the new one if I hadn't gotten the blue screen on the initial install of Win 7.

Oh well....life's a journey....live an learn.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.