A good use for UMD?

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

Well, I think I finally found a UMD I'm going to buy...

Previously I've thought that they were pretty worthless, featureless
discs that can't be played on a television. Better to get the DVD and
just rip it to memory card myself, right?

Here's a scenario where UMD is perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Sin City comes out 8/16. Now I know it's a featureless DVD because the
special edition is coming out later this year. But I like the idea of
watching it again. There's no point buying the DVD since the special
edition is coming out, and the "features" on the DVD will probably be
the same on the UMD. So why not?

Ca-ching! There's my very first UMD purchase.

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Well, I think I finally found a UMD I'm going to buy...
>
> Previously I've thought that they were pretty worthless, featureless
> discs that can't be played on a television. Better to get the DVD and
> just rip it to memory card myself, right?
>
> Here's a scenario where UMD is perfect. Absolutely perfect.
>
> Sin City comes out 8/16. Now I know it's a featureless DVD because the
> special edition is coming out later this year. But I like the idea of
> watching it again. There's no point buying the DVD since the special
> edition is coming out, and the "features" on the DVD will probably be
> the same on the UMD. So why not?
>
> Ca-ching! There's my very first UMD purchase.

Hopefully for Sony there's a lot of people like you that enjoy purchasing
the movie multiple times. :)

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in message
> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Well, I think I finally found a UMD I'm going to buy...
>>
>> Previously I've thought that they were pretty worthless, featureless
>> discs that can't be played on a television. Better to get the DVD and
>> just rip it to memory card myself, right?
>>
>> Here's a scenario where UMD is perfect. Absolutely perfect.
>>
>> Sin City comes out 8/16. Now I know it's a featureless DVD because the
>> special edition is coming out later this year. But I like the idea of
>> watching it again. There's no point buying the DVD since the special
>> edition is coming out, and the "features" on the DVD will probably be
>> the same on the UMD. So why not?
>>
>> Ca-ching! There's my very first UMD purchase.
>
> Hopefully for Sony there's a lot of people like you that enjoy purchasing
> the movie multiple times. :)

You mean like Half Baked?

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

See, now that's the weird thing isn't it? I wouldn't buy the
featureless DVD but I will buy the featureless UMD because it's
portable. Go figure...

- Jordan

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

Yeah, but who wants a duplicate DVD around when the special set comes
out? By virtue of portability the UMD will still be useful later.

- Jordan

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

I haven't seen a firm date, but it's expected in time for Christmas.

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> writes:

> Sin City comes out 8/16. Now I know it's a featureless DVD because the
> special edition is coming out later this year.

Do you know the release date for the special edition? I was going to
pick up the DVD, but now I think I'll wait for the SE version.

(Don't have a PSP, not planning on buying any movie on UMD...)

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message

> You mean like Half Baked?

Oh well, I've bought "Stoned Age" on VHS and DVD. lol. I can't take high
ground.

> See, now that's the weird thing isn't it? I wouldn't buy the
> featureless DVD but I will buy the featureless UMD because it's
> portable. Go figure...

But, the featureless DVD is cheaper and you could rip it to MS, no?

> "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> You mean like Half Baked?
>
> Oh well, I've bought "Stoned Age" on VHS and DVD. lol. I can't take high
> ground.

Never should have let that one slip. Half Baked is now forever sacred.

>>> You mean like Half Baked?
>>
>> Oh well, I've bought "Stoned Age" on VHS and DVD. lol. I can't take
>> high ground.
>
> Never should have let that one slip. Half Baked is now forever sacred.

:)

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

OMG! You haven't seen Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

<hangs head in shame>

Its Neil Patrick Harris' aka Doogie Howser's greatest work.

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> writes:

> Oh well, I've bought "Stoned Age" on VHS and DVD. lol. I can't take high
> ground.

I think you just did, if you mean "high" ground...

Harold and Kumar should be added to the canon.

Nick

--

"Nick Vargish" <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote in message
> "Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> writes:
>
>> Oh well, I've bought "Stoned Age" on VHS and DVD. lol. I can't take
>> high
>> ground.
>
> I think you just did, if you mean "high" ground...
>
> Harold and Kumar should be added to the canon.

Haven't seen it yet. Don't watch a lot of movies.

"Mattinglyfan" <kyler_jai@hotmail.com> writes:

> Its Neil Patrick Harris' aka Doogie Howser's greatest work.

No argument about that... Harold and Kumar is just about the best
stoner flick since Surf 2.

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */
v-1)&&main(0,v+1):main(0,"Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?\v\1");}

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in message
> "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> You mean like Half Baked?
>
> Oh well, I've bought "Stoned Age" on VHS and DVD. lol. I can't take high
> ground.

Dont fear the reaper man! Hehe.

> "Nick Vargish" <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote in message
>> "Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> writes:
>>
>>> Oh well, I've bought "Stoned Age" on VHS and DVD. lol. I can't take
>>> high
>>> ground.
>>
>> I think you just did, if you mean "high" ground...
>>
>> Harold and Kumar should be added to the canon.
>
> Haven't seen it yet. Don't watch a lot of movies.

It has its moments. Not many though.

"Mattinglyfan" <kyler_jai@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> OMG! You haven't seen Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.
>
> <hangs head in shame>
>
> Its Neil Patrick Harris' aka Doogie Howser's greatest work.

I have to concur on that one.

> Yeah, but who wants a duplicate DVD around when the special set comes
> out? By virtue of portability the UMD will still be useful later.
>
> - Jordan

And when you get high the psp screen will look huge anyway, hehe.

"lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in message

> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Yeah, but who wants a duplicate DVD around when the special set comes
>> out? By virtue of portability the UMD will still be useful later.
>>
>> - Jordan
>>
> And when you get high the psp screen will look huge anyway, hehe.

LOL, like a big screen in your pocket.