sonyericsson z600

Not a bad GSM phone, but not worth the $400 prerelease tag. The
problem is that it really is a new external design for the T610. The
camera also is horrible, but that is not why I got the phone. Battery
life is wonderful! I charge once a week and use the phone about 2
hours a week. Bluetooth never fails, unlike the symbian bluetooth of
NOKIA, and email is a snap.
15 answers Last reply
More about sonyericsson z600

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <a457305.0410051812.7cec78ec@posting.google.com> on 5 Oct 2004 19:12:41
    -0700, nabusa@gmail.com (Nabil) wrote:

    >Not a bad GSM phone,

    Pretty darn good, IMHO.

    >but not worth the $400 prerelease tag.

    I paid $180 for mine (used, but in like new condition).

    >The
    >problem is that it really is a new external design for the T610.

    More like the T630.

    >The
    >camera also is horrible, but that is not why I got the phone.

    Likewise, although I'd call it decent for a cell phone.

    >Battery
    >life is wonderful! I charge once a week and use the phone about 2
    >hours a week. Bluetooth never fails, unlike the symbian bluetooth of
    >NOKIA, and email is a snap.

    Agreed, although the email client has some issues. Also, GPRS is fast and
    stable, and Java enables some worthwhile apps (e.g., WebViewer).

    Only two real disappointments for me:

    1. No EDGE (EGPRS).

    2. No support for wave audio (only MIDI).

    Plus the menus are a bit less intuitive then my old T39m.

    >I paid $180 for mine (used, but in like new condition).

    Generally speaking you can also get much lower pricing on these phones when you
    renew a service contract or sign a new contract completely. I got my T616 from
    AT&T last April and saved quite a bit over the normal asking price. I know that
    they're now offering the phone for $49 if you sign a contract or are already a
    GSM customer. They're also offering the T637 at the discounted price of $79.99
    to new customers or current GSM clients who want a new phone. But it looks like
    the T637 is vastly identicle to the T616, except for "new clothes" and the
    addition of Yahoo, AOL and ICQ IM software.

    >Likewise, although I'd call it decent for a cell phone.

    I don't think anyone buys these phones expecting multi-megapixel performance
    from the built in camera. Frankly, I never use mine and probably would've taken
    a less expensive model without the camera if I'd had the option. I wanted the
    T616 because I liked it's looks and user interface and the fact that it had
    built in Bluetooth so I could use wireless headsets and beam info. back and
    forth with a PC wirelessly (assuming I bought a Bluetooth card).
    Steve Grauman

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <20041005230035.29600.00001835@mb-m29.aol.com> on 06 Oct 2004 03:00:35 GMT,
    oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

    >>I paid $180 for mine (used, but in like new condition).
    >
    >Generally speaking you can also get much lower pricing on these phones when you
    >renew a service contract or sign a new contract completely.

    Mine is unlocked and has no service contract issue.

    >Mine is unlocked and has no service contract issue.

    But you still have a sevice provider. And despite warnings that the phones are
    locked, I found that my T616 worked on Cingular's newtwork even before AT&T (my
    provider) merged with Cingular earlier this year. I'm told that the phone,
    which I purchased from AT&T, will also work on T-Mobile. It's just a matter of
    switching the SIM chip that locks in behind the battery. And I can get a better
    deal on most NEW phones from AT&T then I can going to the used market, so I'm
    not real concerned with trying to find complete used phones in decent shape or
    having to make sure they're "unlocked".
    Steve Grauman

    > Not a bad GSM phone, but not worth the $400 prerelease tag. The
    > problem is that it really is a new external design for the T610. The
    > camera also is horrible, but that is not why I got the phone. Battery
    > life is wonderful! I charge once a week and use the phone about 2
    > hours a week. Bluetooth never fails, unlike the symbian bluetooth of
    > NOKIA, and email is a snap.

    Have had it for about 6mnths. It's too thick for a phone (should have been
    ..5 cm thinner!), camera is useless. Every now and then it becomes so
    sluggish (especially after using Java apps) that it has to be reset. About a
    month ago it started to switch itself off every now and then, had to take it
    to service center where they downgraded (!) the firmware, works fine for
    now.

    I get 2-3 days out of it with BT & GPRS constantly on. Also, had problems
    using non-SE BT headset with it.

    Peter

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:12:41 -0700, Nabil wrote:

    > Not a bad GSM phone, but not worth the $400 prerelease tag. The
    > problem is that it really is a new external design for the T610.

    z600 has a TFT screen, t610 has a STN screen.

    Apart from the clamshell design, it's more or less the same as the t630.

    <snipped>

    --
    Michael Turner

    Email (ROT13)

    zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <20041006010743.17556.00000340@mb-m01.aol.com> on 06 Oct 2004 05:07:43 GMT,
    oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

    >>Mine is unlocked and has no service contract issue.
    >
    >But you still have a sevice provider.

    A phone without a service provider is useless unless 911 is the only number
    you ever want to call. ;-)

    >And despite warnings that the phones are
    >locked, I found that my T616 worked on Cingular's newtwork even before AT&T (my
    >provider) merged with Cingular earlier this year. I'm told that the phone,
    >which I purchased from AT&T, will also work on T-Mobile.

    You were lucky. ATTWS routinely locks subsidy phones, and won't unlock them.

    >It's just a matter of
    >switching the SIM chip that locks in behind the battery. And I can get a better
    >deal on most NEW phones from AT&T then I can going to the used market, so I'm
    >not real concerned with trying to find complete used phones in decent shape or
    >having to make sure they're "unlocked".

    I wouldn't count on that, but ATTWS will probably be gone soon in any event,
    so it won't matter.

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <2shlsqF1kr8f1U1@uni-berlin.de> on Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:41:14 +0300, "Peter"
    <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote:

    >> Not a bad GSM phone, but not worth the $400 prerelease tag. The
    >> problem is that it really is a new external design for the T610. The
    >> camera also is horrible, but that is not why I got the phone. Battery
    >> life is wonderful! I charge once a week and use the phone about 2
    >> hours a week. Bluetooth never fails, unlike the symbian bluetooth of
    >> NOKIA, and email is a snap.
    >
    >Have had it for about 6mnths. It's too thick for a phone (should have been
    >.5 cm thinner!), camera is useless.

    Useless? Although image quality could be better, I've found the camera handy
    on several occasions when I had neglected to bring a real digital camera.

    >Every now and then it becomes so
    >sluggish (especially after using Java apps) that it has to be reset.

    I've never had that problem. In fact I'm very impressed with the way it
    handles simultaneous tasks; e.g., incoming text messages while I'm playing a
    game.

    >About a
    >month ago it started to switch itself off every now and then, had to take it
    >to service center where they downgraded (!) the firmware, works fine for
    >now.

    That makes no sense -- sounds like you have some sort of hardware problem.

    >I get 2-3 days out of it with BT & GPRS constantly on.

    I get 4-5 myself with BT & GPRS on. (BT draws some power in idle, but GPRS
    doesn't.) Perhaps you're in a weak signal area, which can significantly
    shorten battery life. Or perhaps your battery has degraded.

    >Also, had problems
    >using non-SE BT headset with it.

    Can't comment on that -- I only use SE BT headsets, which work well.

    >I wouldn't count on that, but ATTWS will probably be gone soon in any event,
    >so it won't matter.

    I get discounted pricing on new phones from AT&T becuase I'm a GSM customer.
    I've found that I can get most of the new phones from them at a negligible
    markup over what people want for them used on EBay. And by going through AT&T,
    I never have to worry about wether or not the phone will actually work with
    AT&T or if the phone is in decent shape and complete with all accesories. AT&T
    is being rolled into Cingular but I don't see much changing. If Cingular dumps
    to much of the former ATTW then they risk losing a lot of unhappy customers.
    Steve Grauman

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <20041007174143.01883.00001522@mb-m14.aol.com> on 07 Oct 2004 21:41:43 GMT,
    oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

    >>I wouldn't count on that, but ATTWS will probably be gone soon in any event,
    >>so it won't matter.
    >
    >I get discounted pricing on new phones from AT&T becuase I'm a GSM customer.
    >I've found that I can get most of the new phones from them at a negligible
    >markup over what people want for them used on EBay.

    I personally find that I can significantly beat non-subsidy ATTWS prices on
    eBay.

    >And by going through AT&T,
    >I never have to worry about wether or not the phone will actually work with
    >AT&T

    I don't either -- any unlocked or ATTWS-locked GSM phone with the necessary
    bands will work.

    >or if the phone is in decent shape

    Haven't had a problem there.

    >and complete with all accesories.

    Not important to me.

    OTOH, I *don't* get locked in

    >AT&T
    >is being rolled into Cingular but I don't see much changing. If Cingular dumps
    >to much of the former ATTW then they risk losing a lot of unhappy customers.

    That hasn't seemed to concern Cingular in the past, so I personally wouldn't
    count on it.

    >I personally find that I can significantly beat non-subsidy ATTWS prices on
    >eBay.

    Well I can get a Samsung X426, a refurbished Nokia 3595 or a refurbished
    Sony-Ericsson T226 for FREE from AT&T right now. Or I could replace my T616
    with the newer T637. MSRP is 269.99, I get a brand new one from AT&T for
    $79.99. There's a LOCKED AT&T specific T637 on EBay right now, currently bid up
    to $102.00. And There's an unlocked one going for $199.00. Doesn't seem like a
    significant savings to me.

    >Not important to me

    It is to me. I don't find find the savings of a used phone to be worthwhile if
    I need to spend money buying missing wall chargers, headsets, batteries, etc...

    >OTOH, I *don't* get locked in

    Yes you do. You have to sign a service contract for a period of at least 1
    year. Either that or your using pre-paid service which would cost me a
    significant amount more per month than my AT&T plan is.
    Steve Grauman

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <20041007194004.28718.00000423@mb-m05.aol.com> on 07 Oct 2004 23:40:04 GMT,
    oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

    >>I personally find that I can significantly beat non-subsidy ATTWS prices on
    >>eBay.
    >
    >Well I can get a Samsung X426, a refurbished Nokia 3595 or a refurbished
    >Sony-Ericsson T226 for FREE from AT&T right now. Or I could replace my T616
    >with the newer T637. MSRP is 269.99, I get a brand new one from AT&T for
    >$79.99. There's a LOCKED AT&T specific T637 on EBay right now, currently bid up
    >to $102.00. And There's an unlocked one going for $199.00. Doesn't seem like a
    >significant savings to me.

    It's not really "free" -- you get locked into a contract. I was talking about
    "non-subsidy" prices.

    >>Not important to me
    >
    >It is to me. I don't find find the savings of a used phone to be worthwhile if
    >I need to spend money buying missing wall chargers, headsets, batteries, etc...

    Never had that problem.

    >>OTOH, I *don't* get locked in
    >
    >Yes you do. ...

    Nope.

    >It's not really "free" -- you get locked into a contract. I was talking
    >about
    >"non-subsidy" prices.

    We all get locked into a contract. If I'm going to have to sign a contract then
    I may as well take a brand new phone at the subsidy price as opposed to paying
    more for a used item. As I pointed out, it IS less expensive then going via
    EBay. And I don't mind being in a plan for 2 years, I choose plans that work
    for me and I don't generally turn out unhappy.

    >Nope.

    The only way you can avoid being locked into a provider for at least 1 year at
    a time is to go pre-paid. And like I said, my $39.99 a month plan actually ends
    up costing me less than pre-paid would. If you aren't getting locked in, you're
    probably stealing service somehow.
    Steve Grauman

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <20041007224127.29613.00000313@mb-m05.aol.com> on 08 Oct 2004 02:41:27 GMT,
    oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

    >>It's not really "free" -- you get locked into a contract. I was talking
    >>about
    >>"non-subsidy" prices.
    >
    >We all get locked into a contract. If I'm going to have to sign a contract then
    >I may as well take a brand new phone at the subsidy price as opposed to paying
    >more for a used item. As I pointed out, it IS less expensive then going via
    >EBay.

    As I pointed out, I disagree.

    >And I don't mind being in a plan for 2 years,

    Good for you. I do.

    >I choose plans that work
    >for me and I don't generally turn out unhappy.

    Lots of things can change in 2 years.

    >The only way you can avoid being locked into a provider for at least 1 year at
    >a time is to go pre-paid.

    Or don't re-up. Or haggle a better deal.

    >And like I said, my $39.99 a month plan actually ends
    >up costing me less than pre-paid would. If you aren't getting locked in, you're
    >probably stealing service somehow.

    I'm not locked in, and I'm not stealing service.

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <MZI8d.16411$54.261128@typhoon.sonic.net> on Wed, 06 Oct 2004 02:43:56 GMT,

    >[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    >In <a457305.0410051812.7cec78ec@posting.google.com> on 5 Oct 2004 19:12:41
    >-0700, nabusa@gmail.com (Nabil) wrote:
    >
    >>Not a bad GSM phone,
    >
    >Pretty darn good, IMHO.
    >
    >>but not worth the $400 prerelease tag.
    >
    >I paid $180 for mine (used, but in like new condition).
    >
    >>The
    >>problem is that it really is a new external design for the T610.
    >
    >More like the T630.
    >
    >>The
    >>camera also is horrible, but that is not why I got the phone.
    >
    >Likewise, although I'd call it decent for a cell phone.
    >
    >>Battery
    >>life is wonderful! I charge once a week and use the phone about 2
    >>hours a week. Bluetooth never fails, unlike the symbian bluetooth of
    >>NOKIA, and email is a snap.
    >
    >Agreed, although the email client has some issues. Also, GPRS is fast and
    >stable, and Java enables some worthwhile apps (e.g., WebViewer).
    >
    >Only two real disappointments for me:
    >
    >1. No EDGE (EGPRS).
    >
    >2. No support for wave audio (only MIDI).
    >
    >Plus the menus are a bit less intuitive then my old T39m.

    3. Lacks GSM 850 (a significant issue for Cingular and ATTWS in the USA)

GSM Phones Bluetooth Product