Sign in with
Your question

Something wrong with my fan and/or hard drive?

Last response: in Components
May 4, 2012 11:56:28 PM

I'll try to explain this as clearly as I can. I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop. Every 2 minutes or so, it will start making this noise that sounds like a printer turning on and another noise as well that sounds a bit like propellers - that's the best way I can explain it, and it lasts for like 5 minutes and then stops completely. I actually thought it was the fan making these noises, so I sprayed some of that canned air stuff but that made the noise even worse. So I did a Diagnostics test and it said that my fan was working fine, but it said my hard drive had an error, which confused me because as far as I'm aware, the hard drive and fan are in completely different areas and it sounds like the noise is coming from where the fan is. And at this point the noise is becoming very irritating and it's starting to freak me out... so does anyone know what the real problem might be?

Also, about a week ago, my computer turned itself off... but since then, it's been working completely fine other than the noise. It doesn't seem to be going any slower than usual, I can access the internet, etc.

More about : wrong fan hard drive

May 5, 2012 12:53:35 AM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
May 5, 2012 1:26:35 AM

It sounds to me like the hard drive is spinning up and down or is seeking and the clicking or (printer) noise you are hearing is the hdd head in continual seek mode...like it's searching the harddrive...this is usually not a good sign.

I would run the dell diagnostic tests and see if the harddrive comes back with an error code or if ANY piece of hardware fails the testing....

I believe hitting f12 during boot should allow you to choose the diagnostics for testing!

Respectfully,
tekman42
m
l
!