PSU assessment of build (below)

CPU + Mobo combo
289.98
ASRock B75 PRO3 LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard bundled with i5-3550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] cvhvvq32ql

RAM
44.99
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231546

GPU
349.99
HIS IceQ H787Q2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814161404

PSU
69.99
Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817371035

SSD
74.99
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB 2.5" 60GB SATA III Asynchronous MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820226247

HDD + Optical Drive combo
111.98
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive bundled with 1x LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 ..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.937166

Case
79.99
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811139011

Total cost 1021.91, ($14 shipping, $30 rebates)
Final cost 1005.91

I've been working on this build for a bit now (on another forum), I'm looking for:
-no interest in OCing, or running multiple cards in crossfire config.
-looking to last >5 years
-Also would like quiet operation (don't want it to sound like a jet taking off)

In regards to the power supply I'm targeting to operate in the %40-%70 load. I might be closer to the 70% with the 500 w PSU.
21 answers Last reply
More about assessment build below
  1. You can do better for less
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

    120 mm fan will be quieter than the 80mm in the EA

    PS; Not that the EA500D isn't a good power supply, but you can't believe the marketing at Newegg
    "Golden Hardware Award - HardwareSecrets"
    HWS reviewed the long ago discontinued Seasonic built EA500, not the current Delta built model
  2. delluser1 said:
    You can do better for less
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

    120 mm fan will be quieter than the 80mm in the EA

    PS; Not that the EA500D isn't a good power supply, but you can't believe the marketing at Newegg
    "Golden Hardware Award - HardwareSecrets"
    HWS reviewed the long ago discontinued Seasonic built EA500, not the current Delta built model



    What about the wattage? I've seen all kinds of estimates from 350 wall the way to 700w recommended; my own calculations say about in the 500 range to operate at the 40-70% load.

    I got the Antec manufacturer from online reviews and other recommendations - Corsair and Seasonic were another popular ones

    Also, good point about the fan, larger diameter fans spin at lower RPMs (quieter)

    This will also drop the price below $1000, which is awesome as well.
  3. machine67891234 said:
    What about the wattage? I've seen all kinds of estimates from 350 wall the way to 700w recommended; my own calculations say about in the 500 range to operate at the 40-70% load.

    I got the Antec manufacturer from online reviews and other recommendations - Corsair and Seasonic were another popular ones

    Also, good point about the fan, larger diameter fans spin at lower RPMs (quieter)

    This will also drop the price below $1000, which is awesome as well.


    More power hungry than your specs;
    http://guru3d.com/article/msi-radeon-hd-7870-hawk-review/8

    The Antec NeoEco is Seasonic built, how long any psu will last is a crapshoot
  4. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.913241

    might as well get a corsair psu 650w at around the same price as your case+psu cost combined
  5. For $70 you should be able to get a corsair tx650W!
  6. Nice find and thanks for the article on the GPU. I probably would have been ok operating with say a 550 watt (~60% load at peak), but with the 650 watt it will be closer to the 40-50% load at peak. The combo saves a few bucks, and gets a slightly better psu... posting the new build in a few
  7. CPU + Mobo combo
    289.98
    ASRock B75 PRO3 LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard bundled with i5-3550
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] cvhvvq32ql

    RAM
    44.99
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231546

    GPU
    349.99
    HIS IceQ H787Q2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814161404

    PSU + Case combo
    151.98
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply bundled with 1x Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel / Plastic …
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.913241&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1typfq74hfprx

    SSD
    74.99
    Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB 2.5" 60GB SATA III Asynchronous MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820226247

    HDD + Optical Drive combo
    111.98
    Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive bundled with 1x LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 ..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.937166


    Total cost 1023.91, ($9.01 shipping, $40 rebates)
    Final cost 992.92
  8. You should be able to get the tx650w and a 400r for the same price. The combo is too pricey :P
  9. amuffin said:
    You should be able to get the tx650w and a 400r for the same price. The combo is too pricey :P


    Where did you see the combo with the 400r? Was it less than 151?
  10. Oh, cool, yeah there's a 20$ rebate which makes it the same price... free upgrade!
  11. Better case ftw! :sol:
  12. amuffin said:
    Better case ftw! :sol:



    Actually I just checked both out and I have a 20$ rebate on the 300r case, so this would be a $20 upgrade to the build, but it may be worthwhile.
  13. The 400R is a much better case than the 300R!
  14. amuffin said:
    The 400R is a much better case than the 300R!



    Yeah, I think I"ll do the upgrade... any idea on the difference between the 7870HD by HIS and a 7870HD by Asus? Seems like the HIS card is quieter, but runs at a slightly lower clock speed (it's also like $30 less)
  15. Which models? Links plz.
    Probably the ICEQ HIS one versus the DCII Asus?

    HIS one runs much quieter and pretty cool, it is a very respectable cooler.
    However, the asus DCII cooler performs better but is LOUD LOUD LOUD! It will also overclock better! Any possibility of getting the msi twinfrozr iii 7870?
  16. amuffin said:
    Which models? Links plz.
    Probably the ICEQ HIS one versus the DCII Asus?

    HIS one runs much quieter and pretty cool, it is a very respectable cooler.
    However, the asus DCII cooler performs better but is LOUD LOUD LOUD! It will also overclock better! Any possibility of getting the msi twinfrozr iii 7870?


    349.99 (and $30 rebate, free shipping)
    HIS IceQ H787Q2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404


    349.99 (free shipping, no rebate)
    ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5 Radeon 2GB DDR5 VGA/DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort GPU Tweak Utilities PCI-Express 3.0 Graphics Card HD7870-DC2-2GD5
    http://www.amazon.com/HD7870-DC2-2GD5-DisplayPort-Utilities-PCI-Express-Graphics/dp/B007JLFVNO
  17. Go with the HIS, even though it is a funky cooler it performs greatly! :)
  18. amuffin said:
    Go with the HIS, even though it is a funky cooler it performs greatly! :)


    Yeah I found that it got consistently great reviews.... About to buy the system now :)
  19. Just placed the order and added some cheap speakers and grounding strap. Hope I didn't forget to purchase any extra cords/connecters... :??:
  20. You got windows?
  21. Yeah, about a year ago I planned ahead and bought a copy of windows 7 ultimate 64 bit for $10 while I was still in grad school.

    This will be my first build... I've troubleshooted my existing pc, and it seems pretty simple based on the videos I"ve watched but I'm still a bit anxious...
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product