Corsair CX500 power supply fan upgrade

G

hey guys i put a corsair cx500 power supply in my emachines which is a top mount. i want to upgrade the fan because its just not putting out enough air. i want it to also help cool the case. its pulling in the hot air off the cpu. i cant find any specs on the fan. i know its 120mm. the air coming out the psu feels pretty warm and not much air. i know i will void the warranty if i open it up but i dont care. i figure it needs 2-3 times more airflow. any ideas for a fan?

Solution
Your temperatures are considered GOOD.
Your graphics card will handle up to 100c. So you have a lot of leeway left.
Older graphics cards had a limit of 70c or below before failure.
You can use AFTER BURNER by MSI to ramp the fan speed up for lower temps.
But really your temps are very good.
G

this fan is not running anywhere near 2200 rpms or putting out 88 cfm. is the fan speed supposed to vary with the load?
i have a cooler master r4 in my gaming rig rated at 2000 rpms. that thing blows some air. this is no where near that. in fact the bios show it running at 1800 and it blows some air. i guess i'll have to take it apart to verify.

1. PSU fans are designed to provide cooling to the PSU...not the PC.
2. The CX 500 controls fan speed based on temperature. If you replace the fan and use the same fan connector in the PSU, then the fan speed will still be regulated by the PSU.

G

i did add a 92mm rear case fan i think avc and its 2000 rpms. it blows a fair amount of air. maybe i should just leave it alone. core temp shows the cpu at 23 degrees and my room is 75f. also running a gts 450 graphics card. under load the cpu might go up to 45c. it's really the graphics card that gets hot, about 70c full load.

Your temperatures are considered GOOD.
Your graphics card will handle up to 100c. So you have a lot of leeway left.
Older graphics cards had a limit of 70c or below before failure.
You can use AFTER BURNER by MSI to ramp the fan speed up for lower temps.
But really your temps are very good.

Solution
G

the psu fried anyway so i took it out and put back the original. i was running a 95 watt phenom which made it run hotter. i have since put in and athlon quad core and problem solved.