Sign in with
Your question

HDMI audio out through graphics cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 23, 2011 6:17:04 PM

Right now I have my computer hooked up to the TV using a DVI->HDMI cable for video and a 3.5->RCA cable for sound. I was thinking it might be easier to use a video card that allowed HDMI out for both sound and video.

I was thinking something like a 6450.

My main question is what is required from the rest of the system for this to work? Does it need a special type of motherboard or anything? The motherboard I would be using is quite old and I'm fairly sure that if anything is required of the motherboard the one I have doesn't have it.

The motherboard is an old board out of a Dell E510, anymore information I'd have to actually look at the board because I can't find much about it online.
November 23, 2011 6:25:41 PM

IAM27 said:
Right now I have my computer hooked up to the TV using a DVI->HDMI cable for video and a 3.5->RCA cable for sound. I was thinking it might be easier to use a video card that allowed HDMI out for both sound and video.

I was thinking something like a 6450.

My main question is what is required from the rest of the system for this to work? Does it need a special type of motherboard or anything? The motherboard I would be using is quite old and I'm fairly sure that if anything is required of the motherboard the one I have doesn't have it.

The motherboard is an old board out of a Dell E510, anymore information I'd have to actually look at the board because I can't find much about it online.

With my HD6870 the only thing I needed to change was the default sound output in the control panel.
m
l
November 23, 2011 6:32:42 PM

Thats what I was hoping for. I know on my GTS450 it did not work out of the box and I ended up just using seperate audio since I already had the cables.

My main concern is that my old motherboard won't be able to use the features of a more modern card and I'm trying to figure out if I should spend the $40 to get a 6450 when I already have a x1900xtx for playing back videos.

The 6450 is newer and has better technology, and is a lot quieter than the x1900xtx but I'm not sure if those things make it worth the expense if I can't use the HDMI out without seperate audio since I'm already doing that.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 23, 2011 6:46:52 PM

The audio is a built in feature of the card and should be independent of the motherboard. I was in a similar situatioen about a year ago with my parents computer, they needed the HDMI out to hook it up to the TV. There's more to the story though. Some cards can do HDMI audio over DVI with the right DVI-HDMI adapter. Either way, should work.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 23, 2011 7:49:38 PM

From what I could tell your board has a 16x PCI-E slot so that card should work just fine. I use mpc HC with ffdshow and can bitstream DTS MA DD THD to my onkio from HDMI works really good.
m
l
!