Windows XP and Quad Core CPU

Currently using dual boot XP Pro and Vista HP 32 with the q6600. Working as advertised.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Ok, Thanks. I was getting a little worried after reading the new CPU charts that I would have to use Vista cuz the logic has to be able to run the 4 cores or something like that. I am in no freaking rush to upgrade to the resource hungry Vista at all. I do not game so its kinda pointless to use it too.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
XP Home supports as many cores as you squeeze into one socket.
XP Pro supports as many cores as you can squeeze into two sockets.

Thus... a quad core CPU will work on both XP Home & XP Pro.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

Quad-Core is better utilized on the XP Pro OS better than any Vista to date, in the same power usage but with better multi-core usage in many Independent tests.
Somebody with a link can follow up my reply.

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
That microcode update has nothing to do with quad core performance in XP or Vista. It's a reliability update. There is a dual core patch for XP so I'm not sure if that is what your going for.

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Just open up Task Managers 'Performance' tab. That will show you if your cores are being utilised. Get your PC doing somethings at once like downloading, virus scan, and playing a game then switch back to Task Manager to look at the graph and satisfy yourself what a great choice of CPU you have made.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Ya this chip is amazing. I was setting up this computer installing Printer software and a few other things at the same time and it flew right through them all. I cannot believe this chip, it is the best chip I have ever used. Although I have only used a P4 northwood and below through my whole life but still it is amazing.