NPD: Gran Turismo 4 = No. 1 for 2005, Forza = No Show

Last response: in Video Games
August 2, 2005 5:22:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

It has been proven over and over that the xflop fanfairies are
loud-mouth posters about their games but the market facts show they
don't buy what they yap about. They may steal their favoritie games,
but they don't buy them. That is a win to their twisted, diseased
brains.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/28/news_6129940.ht...

The NPD Group, the leading market information provider for the game
industry, today released sales figures for the first six months of
2005. According to the numbers, sales topped $4.1 billion between
January 1 and June 30, as compared to $3.4 billion in the same period
last year--an increase of 21 percent.

1. Gran Turismo 4 (PS2, Sony Computer Entertainment, Feb 05 $49)
2. Pokemon Emerald (GBA, Nintendo, Apr 05, $34)
3. MVP Baseball 2005 (PS2, Electronic Arts, Feb 05, $49)
4. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (PS2, LucasArts, May 05,
$49)
5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2, Take-Two Interactive, Oct 04,
$47)
6. God of War (PS2, SCE, Mar 05, $50)
7. Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA, Nintendo, Jan 05, $50)
8. Resident Evil 4 (GC, Capcom, Jan 05, $50)
9. Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition (PS2, Take-Two, Apr 05, $49)
10. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Xbox, LucasArts, May
05, $49)
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 8:46:47 PM

Blig Merk wrote:

> xflop fanfairies

Correction, xflop full circle jerks.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 11:21:02 PM

Blig Merk wrote:
> It has been proven over and over that the xflop fanfairies are
> loud-mouth posters about their games but the market facts show they
> don't buy what they yap about. They may steal their favoritie games,
> but they don't buy them. That is a win to their twisted, diseased
> brains.
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/28/news_6129940.ht...
>
> The NPD Group, the leading market information provider for the game
> industry, today released sales figures for the first six months of
> 2005. According to the numbers, sales topped $4.1 billion between
> January 1 and June 30, as compared to $3.4 billion in the same period
> last year--an increase of 21 percent.
>
> 1. Gran Turismo 4 (PS2, Sony Computer Entertainment, Feb 05 $49)
> 2. Pokemon Emerald (GBA, Nintendo, Apr 05, $34)
> 3. MVP Baseball 2005 (PS2, Electronic Arts, Feb 05, $49)
> 4. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (PS2, LucasArts, May 05,
> $49)
> 5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2, Take-Two Interactive, Oct 04,
> $47)
> 6. God of War (PS2, SCE, Mar 05, $50)
> 7. Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA, Nintendo, Jan 05, $50)
> 8. Resident Evil 4 (GC, Capcom, Jan 05, $50)
> 9. Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition (PS2, Take-Two, Apr 05, $49)
> 10. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Xbox, LucasArts, May
> 05, $49)

Great Research, just as they would do in Junior High Research Methods
101. Good grief, because something sells good it automatically is
better? Toyota's are the best selling cars in America (according to
their ad) but does that make them the best cars? You got blinders on,
man, blinders.

As far as I am concerned, it is not even worth comparing GT4 and Forza,
they are so far aparty in gameplay. Forza is a simulation and GT4 is
more or less arcade. Why compare apples and oranges?
August 3, 2005 4:12:38 AM

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Blig Merk wrote:
>
>> xflop fanfairies
>
> Correction, xflop full circle jerks.

Does anyone really care which is supposedly the best? If you're a PS2 owner
you can play GT4, if you own one of the other things you can't!
August 3, 2005 5:13:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

A mind is a terrible thing to waste ... or to never have had.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:13:31 AM

"Dave" <dm@nospam.com> wrote in message
> A mind is a terrible thing to waste ... or to never have had.

maybe you need to take a walk down the yellow brick road to see the
Wizard.... ;-)
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:25:20 AM

cjw wrote:

> Great Research, just as they would do in Junior High Research Methods
> 101. Good grief, because something sells good it automatically is
> better? Toyota's are the best selling cars in America (according to
> their ad) but does that make them the best cars? You got blinders on,
> man, blinders.
>
> As far as I am concerned, it is not even worth comparing GT4 and Forza,
> they are so far aparty in gameplay. Forza is a simulation and GT4 is
> more or less arcade. Why compare apples and oranges?

Because apples are cheaper where he lives and he can't afford both. And
soooo he justifies it, in a much convoluted manner.
August 3, 2005 5:41:57 PM

Blig Merk wrote:
> It has been proven over and over that the xflop fanfairies are
> loud-mouth posters about their games but the market facts show they
> don't buy what they yap about.

"According to the numbers, sales topped $4.1 billion between January 1
and June 30"

Forza went on sale May 3rd vs. GT4's February 22nd. So you expect it to
be on the list when it was only available for 2 of the 6 months in
NPD's survey?

Whatever - Gran Turismo 4 - 89%
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/561066.asp?q=Gra...

Forza - 92%
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920720.asp

What do some of the reviews say about GT 4?
http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/features/51462/Gran_Turismo_4...

"Getting through the barrage of license tests and early races in Gran
Turismo has always been a bit of a chore, but in GT4, it can be
downright boring. The whole thing just takes forever to get going,
which makes this strictly a game for car enthusiasts, and not the
Burnout 3 adrenaline junkie set."

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/gt4/review-gt...

"It took your reporter two days to achieve GT4's first licence, not
because the tests are difficult but because the crushing tedium drove
him so close to tears that he had to keep switching the PS2 off after
two or three "lessons" and go and do something less boring instead,
such as watch the glue drying on the new shelves he was building. But
if you have a really high tolerance of soul-crushing banality, a
continuous stint of around two hours of miserable moto-drudgery should
see you safely through to the most elementary sections of the game
proper. And that's when the pain really begins."

http://www.gamesasylum.com/showarticle.php?articleID=38...

"the game forces all players to undertake ten hours of tedious labour
before being allowed to do anything interesting. It's either the most
boring game ever, or the most sadistic one. If players want to
participate in any exciting race, first they're required to pass a
series of license tests. These are, in essence, forced tedium. Even
though most players will have played the previous three games, and
maybe even have a real life driving license, it's assumed all players
lack the capacity to accelerate in a car, then brake by pressing a
button on a control pad. You'll be 'taught' this, not once, but many
times. It took us a week to progress past the basic license tests, not
because we had any difficulty, but because it was the most boring thing
we've ever been forced to 'play' through."

- Jordan
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:54:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <1123014136.535217.263730@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
blig_murk@yahoo.com says...

>It has been proven over and over that the xflop fanfairies are
>loud-mouth posters about their games but the market facts show they
>don't buy what they yap about. They may steal their favoritie games,
>but they don't buy them. That is a win to their twisted, diseased
>brains.
>
>http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/28/news_6129940.ht...
>
>The NPD Group, the leading market information provider for the game
>industry, today released sales figures for the first six months of
>2005. According to the numbers, sales topped $4.1 billion between
>January 1 and June 30, as compared to $3.4 billion in the same period
>last year--an increase of 21 percent.
>
>1. Gran Turismo 4 (PS2, Sony Computer Entertainment, Feb 05 $49)
>2. Pokemon Emerald (GBA, Nintendo, Apr 05, $34)
>3. MVP Baseball 2005 (PS2, Electronic Arts, Feb 05, $49)
>4. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (PS2, LucasArts, May 05,
>$49)
>5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2, Take-Two Interactive, Oct 04,
>$47)
>6. God of War (PS2, SCE, Mar 05, $50)
>7. Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA, Nintendo, Jan 05, $50)
>8. Resident Evil 4 (GC, Capcom, Jan 05, $50)
>9. Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition (PS2, Take-Two, Apr 05, $49)
>10. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Xbox, LucasArts, May
>05, $49)

All those sales and it still ranks a distant second to Forza in every other
category. I'll take gameplay over sales any day.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 11:31:20 AM

jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo) writes:

> Anybody who owns both games and is not a fanboy will tell you the
> same thing.

So if someone has a different opinion from yours, they're
automatically a fanboy?

What's the point of even having a discussion then?

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

"Nick Vargish" <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote in message
> jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo) writes:
>
>> Anybody who owns both games and is not a fanboy will tell you the
>> same thing.
>
> So if someone has a different opinion from yours, they're
> automatically a fanboy?
>
> What's the point of even having a discussion then?

Look who you are talking to. :)
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 3:14:44 PM

Velocity Girl wrote:
> Wow, I guess all the review sites that claim GT4 looks better than Forza
> are fanbos then.

I wouldn't say GT4 looks better, just different. Both aren't as good
graphically as they should be, but I take gameplay over graphics any
day.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:49:02 PM

"Velocity Girl" <BuyMySkatePark@msn.com> wrote in message

>> Nope. I own both games(including the Driving Force Pro wheel for GT4)and
>> I realized real quick that Forza was the better game. Anybody who owns
>> both games and is not a fanboy will tell you the same thing.
>
> Wow, I guess all the review sites that claim GT4 looks better than Forza
> are fanbos then.

Game?
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:17:46 AM

Fred Liken wrote:
> "Velocity Girl" <BuyMySkatePark@msn.com> wrote in message
>

>>>Nope. I own both games(including the Driving Force Pro wheel for GT4)and
>>>I realized real quick that Forza was the better game. Anybody who owns
>>>both games and is not a fanboy will tell you the same thing.
>>
>>Wow, I guess all the review sites that claim GT4 looks better than Forza
>>are fanbos then.
>

> Game?

fanbos?
TECHNICALY?
real winner, this velocity?
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:36:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <87mzny3pmf.fsf@localhost.localdomain>, nav+posts@bandersnatch.org
says...

>jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo) writes:
>
>> Anybody who owns both games and is not a fanboy will tell you the
>> same thing.
>
>So if someone has a different opinion from yours, they're
>automatically a fanboy?
>
>What's the point of even having a discussion then?
>
>Nick

Like I said. If your not a fanboy and you own both games. Its not even close
except for graphics.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:14:57 AM

babanoosh wrote:
> Fred Liken wrote:
>
>> "Velocity Girl" <BuyMySkatePark@msn.com> wrote in message

>>> Wow, I guess all the review sites that claim GT4 looks better than
>>> Forza are fanbos then.
>>

>> Game?
>>
> fanbos?
> TECHNICALY?
> real winner, this velocity?

Haha
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:55:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <42f234d0$0$90617$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
nothanks@toocoolforschool.com says...

>"Nick Vargish" <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote in message
>> jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo) writes:
>>
>>> Anybody who owns both games and is not a fanboy will tell you the
>>> same thing.
>>
>> So if someone has a different opinion from yours, they're
>> automatically a fanboy?
>>
>> What's the point of even having a discussion then?
>
>Look who you are talking to. :)

Look who has become JoJo's bitch.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:01:03 PM

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> What's the point of even having a discussion then?
>>
>>Look who you are talking to. :)
>>
> Look who has become JoJo's bitch.

lol. Looks like someone missed the point.
August 8, 2005 10:36:02 PM

Blig Merk wrote:
> It has been proven over and over that the xflop fanfairies are
> loud-mouth posters

Anyone else detect a the slight scent of irony?

> That is a win to their twisted, diseased
> brains.

Coming from the thing that lives only to pump severely lop sided Sony
propaganda
into Usenet, as if to gain some sick perverted pleasure out of MS
apparent failings,
whilst ignoring Sony's faults.

I could launch an investigation into Sony in a some half-baked attempt
to insult a
faceless corporation, much like what Blig Merk must be trying to do to
Microsoft,
but unlike Blig Merk, I don't care!

The only reason I even reply is that I'm pretty bored at the moment, and
for that I
thank our hypocritical friend for giving us the pleasure of clubbing a
seal without
the mess nor imprisonment.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:46:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <42f38cc7$0$84094$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
nothanks@toocoolforschool.com says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message

>>>Look who you are talking to. :)
>>>
>> Look who has become JoJo's bitch.
>
>lol. Looks like someone missed the point.

Looks in the mirror for a picture of JoJo's new bitch. I got the point just
fine.
!