Failure rate for CPUs

dc007

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I just bought an Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor from Micro Center due to the sale (201 taxes included) in anticipation of a build I was planning on completing in mid June. I was researching some motherboards I seen suggested here and noticed a lot of people complained about their boards being doa.

Is this also a common problem for CPUs? I would hate to go pick this cpu up from the store, try to build the computer over a month later, cpu doesn't work, and I can't return it since I've had it over 30 days.

Solution
Most processors will die out within 10 years, the things that may cause you to think your processor is dead would be other parts that are dead. BTW did you buy the Build Your Own warranty on the board and processor at microcenter? I advise that you do, so if your parts are DOA you can give it to them and they will give you a new board/cpu.

most cpu issues are the mb not having the right bios to boot or some one bending a pin on the mb or cpu.
most cpu kills are from bad power supplys when they fail or a bad over clock where someone drives the cpu higher then it rated voltage and cooks it. intel have very good qa and very very low doa out of the box for there cpu.

Most processors will die out within 10 years, the things that may cause you to think your processor is dead would be other parts that are dead. BTW did you buy the Build Your Own warranty on the board and processor at microcenter? I advise that you do, so if your parts are DOA you can give it to them and they will give you a new board/cpu.

Solution

dc007

Honorable
May 5, 2012

I did not buy that, but now that you mentioned it I definitively will when I go pick it up at the store.