Closed

3rd Build, HDD Problems

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Hard Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2012 5:55:21 PM

So I designed a setup in order to play more intensive games as SWTOR as my old setup wasn't cutting it. Below are my components. I got my hdd and it wasn't even registering in bios or disk management after cable changes, connector changes, and drivers for Marvel and Intel chipsets were installed. What should I do about my hdd? I have two old ones that are working in which I'm now using but not happy with.

Approximate Purchase Date: Already Purchased

Budget Range: 150 - 250 for new hdd

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, media, surfing web

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor, sound card, and case

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon, tigerdirect or newegg

Parts Preferences: Intel, corsair, asus, and evga

Overclocking: I hope to eventually

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: I want a reliable harddrive to run os and games from, can do two if necessary.

Spec's:

mobo - Asus Sabertooth P67

ram - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3

cpu - Core i7 2600K Processor

gpu - Evga Nvidia gtx 560ti

hdd - 1tb Seagate Barracuda, 7200 Sata III

psu - Cool Power 880w Gamer Edition

My questions are, does this setup seem legit? Also what are my options for the hdd since mine arrived DOA? Or is there something I can do with the hdd that I got that I haven't (ie. change cables, connectors, install sata III drivers)? Any feedback and help would be appreciated.

Edit: Links weren't working, sorry.

More about : 3rd build hdd problems

January 22, 2012 6:03:16 PM

It helps a lot if you use the format suggested in the thread about how to ask for advice .

It helps even more if you list the names of the components and have clickable links
Score
January 22, 2012 6:11:28 PM

Do you have cable select pins on that model? If so make sure it is set to master. In the BIOS for your motherboard make sure SATA connectors are enabled, if that option is available. Can you describe the sound the hard drive makes when you boot the machine. The system is not overclocked or overvolted as of right now correct?
Score
Related resources
January 22, 2012 6:20:52 PM

do you have the power and the SATA cable both connected?
Score
January 22, 2012 6:26:05 PM

The system is stock as of right now. I never heard the Seagate Barracuda make any noise when booting, though I wasn't looking for it. There are no cable select pins. My two old hard drives are SATA, but connected on the SATA II connections. They show up, and the two ports for the intel chipset show up, however when the Barracuda is plugged into one of those, it is not present.

One interesting thing to note is that when I connected the hard drive to the Marvell SATA III connectors, when loading the computer took more time to recognize that "there is no hard drive connected to the Marvell."

Here is the link to the Asus website page for the mobo I am using.
Score
January 22, 2012 6:28:33 PM

Yes I had both connected. I changed SATA cables to make sure, and I used all four possible SATA III connection points on the mobo while I left the power connected. It's power is given from the same power cable that is giving the other two working hard drives power.
Score

Best solution

January 22, 2012 6:42:17 PM

Then most likely the HDD is dead . They are the most fragile component in a pc so its not unknown that a good shake while shipping can kill them .

The surest test would be to connect it to another running computer and see if its 1/ recognized and 2/ you can format it
January 22, 2012 6:47:54 PM

Your probably right Outlander. I will do that test on a working computer. Only question now is what hdd to replace that with, I'm kind of scared to get the same one. I appreciate your help!
Score
January 22, 2012 6:50:12 PM

Any product from any manufacturer can be faulty . The seagate is a decent hdd . If the price is right then dont be put off the brand

But if its in the budget the Samsung F3 is a little faster
Score
January 22, 2012 6:53:00 PM

Best answer selected by oosaki.
Score
January 22, 2012 8:43:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score