Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why I'd buy an AMD Fx 8150

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
May 5, 2012 5:29:52 AM

lets not even start :non:  you know who you are.

For the rest of you who are seriously considering a CPU with great potential, and Oc'ing ability. Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-lbheRAJfA " Win 7 not yet optimized to use Bulldozers architecture, yet it is optimized to use i7's architecture" Think about that for a bit...

Also here's something to consider, right now Win 7 is not optimized to use 8 core procs ( even 6 core). Supposedly a new patch is available to fix what's going wrong concerning win 7 not taking advantage - i'm about to DL this and test the results myself.

Even with the hot fix, I believe the Win 8 platform will be smarter , and distribute the load a little bit better with some of the newer core architecture.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-hotfix-bu...

is what I'm referring to.

Currently I'm using an 8120, and on stock i've managed to bump this thing up to 4.2ghz " stock air cooler" and one bump to the CPU volatage +.25 volts

Results are noticeable in benchmarks.

More about : buy amd 8150

a c 186 à CPUs
May 5, 2012 5:39:54 AM

Ok, but there's no reason to post here. All you'll do is start a flame war, and honestly I don't care. This thread is useless, you're just provoking us to argue over amd and intel.
Score
a c 154 à CPUs
May 5, 2012 5:53:18 AM

Go away noob troll.
Score
Related resources
May 5, 2012 5:53:42 AM

I'm posting relevant and usefull info, why are you trying to start something?

Gentlemen, despite what happened or what you think of me in the last thread, lets keep this civil - I have no wish to turn this into a flame, the video has some pretty interesting insight into current tech.
Score
May 5, 2012 5:56:47 AM

amuffin said:
Ok, but there's no reason to post here. All you'll do is start a flame war, and honestly I don't care. This thread is useless, you're just provoking us to argue over amd and intel.

calm down

this thread won't cause a flame war, retarded 14 year olds will cause a flame war. I was watching a random youtube video and a couple 13 yr old per-pubescent virgins were arguing about COD v. BF3. This *** happens everywhere, just ban em' and move on.

hopefully this actually works as well as the OP claims it does and maybe the people who have sunk $200+ on this cpu can get some ease of mind.
Score
a c 186 à CPUs
May 5, 2012 5:59:08 AM

If you don't believe me, there will be a flame war. Plus, they already have tested the 8150 on windows 8, guess what? Little to no performance increase!
Score
May 5, 2012 6:00:14 AM

this is a terrible argument and should just stop, congrats you like your CPU, i like mine... they both do the same thing...
Score
a c 154 à CPUs
May 5, 2012 6:01:57 AM

Windows 7 and the patches didn' do jack and neither will Windows 8 as has already been shown.
Score
May 5, 2012 6:02:41 AM

gregck said:
calm down

this thread won't cause a flame war, retarded 14 year olds will cause a flame war. I was watching a random youtube video and a couple 13 yr old per-pubescent virgins were arguing about COD v. BF3. This *** happens everywhere, just ban em' and move on.

hopefully this actually works as well as the OP claims it does and maybe the people who have sunk $200+ on this cpu can get some ease of mind.

I seriously don't understand the hostility towards AMD users on this board.

I just installed the patch, going to run a few tests and compare, but the whole point here is the architecture as the video was talking about - it would be interesting to see if hotfixes/ patches would unlock some extra juice outta this thing.
Score
a c 154 à CPUs
May 5, 2012 6:04:14 AM

Ohmybad said:
this is a terrible argument and should just stop, congrats you like your CPU, i like mine... they both do the same thing...

Yea except the Bulldozer does it slower, runs hotter and and cost more than the I5.
Score
a c 154 à CPUs
May 5, 2012 6:06:51 AM

tha_vice said:

I just installed the patch, going to run a few tests and compare, but the whole point here is the architecture as the video was talking about - it would be interesting to see if hotfixes/ patches would unlock some extra juice outta this thing.

Give it up already they already tried hot fixes and patches and it didn't do anything. Hotfixes isn't going to fix Bulldozers scrwed up IPC and Windows 8 isn't going to make any difference either.
Score
May 5, 2012 6:11:14 AM

Relax, lol

We'll see what happens when Win 8 is released and it's been out on the market for a bit.

Also since this hotfix is relatively new, iId veture to say that they'll release another.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 6:14:33 AM

I just built an FX-4100 machine for a family member and it works great in every game and application so far. Had he more money, I would have installed the same processor as yours, the_vice.

It sounds like a great processor. It hasn't given you any problems, has it?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 6:16:10 AM

:sleep: 
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
May 5, 2012 6:23:03 AM

All the hotfixes and software optimizations in the world can't make up for the lacking IPC of the Bulldozer CPU's (a hardware problem), but carry on with your trolling if you must. Besides, the hotfixes and the optimizations in Win 8 will help 6+ core (HT included) Intel CPU's too.

We've been down this road already and it didn't need to be brought up again. You're just trying to justify buying a FX CPU, and honestly, we don't care.
Score
a c 154 à CPUs
May 5, 2012 6:25:47 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
All the hotfixes and software optimizations in the world can't make up for the lacking IPC of the Bulldozer CPU's (a hardware problem), but carry on with your trolling if you must. Besides, the hotfixes and the optimizations in Win 8 will help 6+ core (HT included) Intel CPU's too.

We've been down this road already and it didn't need to be brought up again. You're just trying to justify buying a FX CPU, and honestly, we don't care.

Yea it's not our problem if he likes buying inferior hardware. :kaola: 
Score
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 6:54:57 AM

just going through the video quickly, it makes a lot of presumptions. You cannot compare the ghz from one families processor to another families processor, that's like saying the i5-2400 is equal to the i5-3450(they are counterparts, but not equal even though the base clock is at 3.1 ghz). their differences are even larger when comparing it from a Intel vs AMD standpoint. It also assumes that the architecture of the 2 companies sides are equal, because it kept trying to say that 8 cores > 4 cores, which number wise, it totally true, but the 4 cores on the intel chip are much stronger. I have nothing against AMD nor the FX line, (since i'm extremely interested in the AMD trinity lineup for a build for my friend) but for its price, its not the best, but it is indeed usable.
Score
May 6, 2012 6:57:46 AM

Best answer selected by tha_vice.
Score
May 6, 2012 7:00:51 AM

anxiousinfusion said:
I just built an FX-4100 machine for a family member and it works great in every game and application so far. Had he more money, I would have installed the same processor as yours, the_vice.

It sounds like a great processor. It hasn't given you any problems, has it?

No problems at all, memory bandwidth jumped up around 4k points in the Aida benchmarks when oc'd. http://www.aida64.com/

Love the turbo boost, Easy tune, and the way it handles Virtual machines. :love: 
Score
a c 127 à CPUs
May 6, 2012 7:09:19 AM

tha_vice said:
Relax, lol

We'll see what happens when Win 8 is released and it's been out on the market for a bit.

Also since this hotfix is relatively new, iId veture to say that they'll release another.

There is no reason to release another hotfix for something that is a flaw within the performance of the architecture itself. Even the consumer preview of Windows 8 and BD did not show anything major in terms of performance enhancements.

A OS cannot makeup for lacking performance. Its like saying that a patch in Windows 7 will make a Phenom 9950 somehow perform as good as a Core i7 920. It just wont happen.

rds1220 said:
Yea it's not our problem if he likes buying inferior hardware. :kaola: 

Its not that. While I think this thread is a tad.... pointless and flamable, its not justification. He doesn't need to justify anything as it is his choice what he buys.

And BD is not inferior, as inferior implies that it is worse in every way possible when that is not true. BD is a decent CPU. It is just not up to the task of overtaking Intels current offering.

Score
a c 127 à CPUs
May 6, 2012 7:23:44 AM

tha_vice said:
No problems at all, memory bandwidth jumped up around 4k points in the Aida benchmarks when oc'd. http://www.aida64.com/

Love the turbo boost, Easy tune, and the way it handles Virtual machines. :love: 

I am sorry but this I have to call BS on that. This is why:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

When overclocking the CPU frequency, the memory is not affected as it is based on two factors: the IMC and the memory speeds. Now if you are using DDR3-1600MHz, you wont be able to clock much higher than that and for that you would be limited to the IMC but again, the IMC will be limited based on the memory and voltage it can take.

So unless you have moved from slower memory to faster memory there is no way your 4.2GHz BD got 4K points (or 4000MB/s) more memory bandwidth than the BD at stock as clock speed has no affect on overall memory bandwidth.
Score
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2012 7:29:07 AM

jimmysmitty said:
I am sorry but this I have to call BS on that. This is why:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

When overclocking the CPU frequency, the memory is not affected as it is based on two factors: the IMC and the memory speeds. Now if you are using DDR3-1600MHz, you wont be able to clock much higher than that and for that you would be limited to the IMC but again, the IMC will be limited based on the memory and voltage it can take.

So unless you have moved from slower memory to faster memory there is no way your 4.2GHz BD got 4K points (or 4000MB/s) more memory bandwidth than the BD at stock as clock speed has no affect on overall memory bandwidth.

Jimmy's got you there. Bandwidth isn't tied to clockspeed these days.

:) 
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
May 6, 2012 7:45:51 AM

tha_vice said:

It isn't so much hostility towards AMD users as it is hostility towards people who keep trolling that AMD performs as good or better than i5/i7 when every review from every hardware site agrees that nearly nothing AMD currently makes is worth buying under most circumstances because even the slowest and cheapest chips Intel is still manufacturing pull ahead of the fastest chips AMD has on the market in an alarming majority of benchmarks. The overall performance gap between the two is so wide it isn't funny, deja-vu for those who remember K6/K7 vs P2/P3.

Nobody is saying that it is impossible to get decent performance out of AMD's stuff, we all know it is possible to do nearly anything that Intel's chips can do on AMD's... but right now, in terms of price/performance and performance/watt, the advantages are all deep into Intel's camp.
Score
May 6, 2012 8:00:05 AM

it also buggs me that i think that the pc is not using the full 8 cores avaible.

and intel is pretty much on the top, and i am not going to denied they have the processors game pretty much taken right now, even tough amd is doing a good fight.

btw: i love AMD but is just that i5,i7 are way better right now.

and i do think that intel is giving windows a blowjob, because the patch is not really working.
Score
May 6, 2012 2:25:13 PM

tha_vice said:
lets not even start :non:  you know who you are.

For the rest of you who are seriously considering a CPU with great potential, and Oc'ing ability. Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-lbheRAJfA " Win 7 not yet optimized to use Bulldozers architecture, yet it is optimized to use i7's architecture" Think about that for a bit...

Also here's something to consider, right now Win 7 is not optimized to use 8 core procs ( even 6 core). Supposedly a new patch is available to fix what's going wrong concerning win 7 not taking advantage - i'm about to DL this and test the results myself.

Even with the hot fix, I believe the Win 8 platform will be smarter , and distribute the load a little bit better with some of the newer core architecture.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-hotfix-bu...

is what I'm referring to.

Currently I'm using an 8120, and on stock i've managed to bump this thing up to 4.2ghz " stock air cooler" and one bump to the CPU volatage +.25 volts

Results are noticeable in benchmarks.

Prove how good your unit is, perform the benchmarks I gave you links to like everyone else did
or just go away.
Score
a c 186 à CPUs
May 8, 2012 10:37:01 PM

Trolling.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2012 1:18:03 AM

amuffin said:
Trolling.

and your jesus christ resurrecting the dead!
(again) :lol: 
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
May 9, 2012 1:21:30 AM

Anonymous said:
and your jesus christ resurrecting the dead!
(again) :lol: 

Funniest thing I've seen on the forum today. :lol: 
Score
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2012 1:29:20 AM

This topic has been closed by Amdfangirl
Score
!