Ivy vs Sandy confusion

dc007

Honorable
May 5, 2012
So I will be building a new computer soon and I think i'm pretty set on a i-5. I've been reading the articles and forum posts on this board all day. I am going to build the computer in about a month or so but already bought Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor due to the deal micro center has. (Haven't picked it up yet)

This will be my first computer build.

It seems from reading this board, you can OC the Sandy bridge version (2500 I believe) higher than you can the Ivy version (due to heat, correct me if i'm wrong). With that being said, at 20 dollars cheaper, is there any reason to get the Ivy version over Sandy? Again, being a total newbie, I can't really seem to see much of a difference reading the articles that has reviewed them already, but i'm sure there could be something Ivy does that would make it better to buy for the future.

Also, since somebody informed me in another post that I can save 50 dollars at micro center if i buy the mobo at the same time as the cpu, would either of these 2 be good to pair with either? I plan to do a full suggestion form once I actually build the computer for suggestions, just need help on this since I will be grabbing these 2 parts this weekend. In general, probably only doing medium gaming (Wow, Skyrim, maybe something like COD when i'm bored.), web surfing, might set it up as my hub for my home server to stream movies and stuff.

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

or

ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

dc007

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I know I don't particularly need to OC, just doing it for the experience. I guess the ultimate question is, is it worth spending the extra 20 dollars for the ivy bridge if the sandy bridge can OC to similar performance (not sure if that statement is true) and put that extra 20 dollars towards another component? I will take the suggestion for the mobo and get a z77.

dc007

Honorable
May 5, 2012

If there is a micro center close by, you can actually get it for 169 before taxes ( http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966995+4294932574 ) ...I got the ivy bridge version for 201 with tax included.

I have read on here different opinions about weather to get the ivy vs sandy without much consensus. I am assuming due to ivy being so new that not many people have it? I was looking for an opinion one way or the other as to why somebody with a new build would pick the ivy or sandy if there is a 20 dollar difference?

Aquila87

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I would definitely get the 3570k. As much as the 2500k was and still is a great chip, investing into newer tech is almost always the right move. Plus, keep in mind that the 3570k is faster natively, OC'd at 4.5ghz might yield similar performance to a 2500k OC'd to 4.7ghz. And if you aren't going to OC it, it'll be easily 10-15% faster.

And as mentioned above, you want to get a Z77 board. Something like the asrock extreme4 is fine

dc007

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Ah well I'll make a decision one way or the other but those 2 opinions give me more insight. Seems like on a normal use, probably wouldn't notice any performance difference. I'll just make a gut decision tomorrow when I pick it up.

Is there a mother board on this list that you would recommend? The one you suggested isn't on the list.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966996+4294923437

Trying to get the discount offered, but i'd would def rather pay for a better mobo full price from newegg if the ones on this page are not up to par. I've read the reviews on the ones listed but would like a more experienced opinion.