Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Auto Personal Messages for Keywords

Last response: in Forum Feedback
February 9, 2011 10:21:56 PM

I feel like an idiot because I've been on Tom's for quite a while and should know my way around the site but...

Years ago there was an option to get instant notification if a thread was started with certain keywords in the title. I can't seem to find that option anywhere in the profile options.

For example, I get a personal message saying "Forum Tom's Hardware : New topic ([Thread-Title-Here])" with a direct link to the topic.

I absolutely love this for keywords I set up in the past such as "HTPC".

However, there are some I don't care for and I'd like to turn them off. For example, back in 2006 I was researching macbooks for my wife and I set up notification for that keyword. I still get notified EVERY time someone starts a topic with "macbook" in the title. I would like to turn that one off. Plus, I would like some new keywords to be added.

Can someone help me out here? Where are the settings for this???
February 10, 2011 1:36:38 PM

I don't believe we have a setting like that. It may have been before the current iteration of forum software.
m
l
February 10, 2011 2:39:33 PM

Just so you know I'm not crazy (or if you want a visual), here is what my Private Message page looks like with some notes added:

Like I said, it is a REALLY nice feature for topics you are interested in. I think the option went away about the time Tom's joined Best of Media years ago.

Maybe I should request the feature to be added back?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 11, 2011 12:50:27 PM

Yup, that's how it should look. And yeah, feel free to recommend the feature be added back in our feedback area (that button to the right).
February 11, 2011 2:38:15 PM

I requested the feature. So strange that the feature was removed, but I still get my topic notifications of keywords I set up in the past. I wonder if the feature was removed because some idiots had general keywords like "graphics" and so the forum-bots were sending thousands of notifications and flooding the system.

Anyways, I hope the feature makes a comeback. Anyone who reads this and likes the idea be sure to go to the feature request section and vote for it!

@jpishgar-> Darn it, I should have started this thread as a question so I could give you kudos. I can only give you an off-the-record "Thank You".
m
l
February 11, 2011 4:37:19 PM

rwpritchett said:
@jpishgar-> Darn it, I should have started this thread as a question so I could give you kudos. I can only give you an off-the-record "Thank You".

All fixed. :) 
m
l
February 11, 2011 4:51:12 PM

Best answer selected by rwpritchett.
m
l
!